Chapter 5

Gage's P.O.V.

Man, I cannot believe Eden has purchased a lot of the needed baby items on his own. That impresses me as I know baby items can be expensive which gives me an idea, and I hope Eden does not become upset with me for what I would like to do.

"Do you have his nursery put together yet?" I ask, curious if the crib and changing table are put together, and if the room is situated how Eden wants it.

Eden shakes his head with a worried expression; "No, not yet. I have to find someone to paint his nursery for me before I can put together his crib, changing table, bookshelf, dresser, and rocking chair. I am not supposed to pain the room because of the paint fumes."

Idea number two hits me then, so I offer him; "Would it be okay if I painted his room for you?"

"I can't ask you to do that," he quickly answers, though he seems like he really wants to take me up on my offer.

"You did not ask me to do this, I am offering," I reply with a reassuring smile. "I would love to help you with this task."

Eden nervously chews on his lower lip for a few seconds as if he is debating with himself on his options before he nods with a shy smile; "I would greatly appreciate that, so thank you. I have two more days off this week, then I am on for three days, and then off for four."

"I can come on Saturday, if that works for you?" I answer after running through my mental calendar, and I know I do not have anything planned for that day.

Eden gives me the sweetest smile I have ever seen or received; "That works for me, thanks Gage. I will have everything set up and ready for you before you arrive. You can come whenever you would like on that."

"I can be at yours by 9 a.m., so I can have both coats done in one day for you," I tell him. "Do you want me to bring anything for breakfast?"

"Um, I am not sure yet, but you do not need, too," he replies.

"That is not a problem, I would not mind bringing you breakfast, so you do not have to cook that morning," I answer with a grin even though he does not see it as he is back searching through the clothes again.

Mental note to self to pay attention to the clothes, and anything else he picks up, and what Eden has said he still needs for his son. I am going to pick up a few items, and bring these on Saturday when I paint the room for him.

"Are you going to have a baby shower, or do you not want one?" I question as he picks out three more onesies, and four pairs of bottoms, and a package of socks.

"Um, Alexis is throwing a baby shower with our co-workers since I do not have contact with my family, who would normally do this," he says nonchalantly with a shrug of his thin shoulders.

Not wanting to touch on the subject of his no contact with his family as I do not want to upset him by asking why he does not speak or see them. He picks up a package of size two diapers, too before admitting that he was ready to checkout. I will definitely pick up a few items to bring him on Saturday. I just hope I do not upset him by buying some things for his son.

After Eden pays for his items, we part ways in the parking lot at our cars. I wave at him from the driver's seat of my car as he drives away from me. Once he is out of sight, I climb back out of the car to head back inside the store. Several employees give me a confused look, but I just give them a smile in return.

Making my way back to the clothing section, I pick out six full outfits in various sizes from birth to twelve months. Then I head to the accessories section to pick up two packages of diapers in the size and brand that Eden picked up, along with two packages of non-scented, and for sensitive skin baby wipes, a package of two yellow and orange pacifiers, several children's books for Eden to read to his son, and a blue and pink tye-dyed blanket with an elephant on it.

I leave the store ten minutes later, happy that I can help Eden purchase some items for his son. I just hope he is not mad at me for doing this for him. Glancing at the clock on the radio, I decide to head to visit mum at the hospital, and hopefully she can head home soon.

Leaving the three bags in the backseat, I lock the doors of my car, and head into the hospital toward mum's room. She is hooked to a dialysis machine while watching some romantic movie. Ugh, I am glad she like these types of movies, but man, I think these movies suck.

"Hi mum," I greet softly as I enter the room, sitting down in the chair on her left with a soft smile.

"Hello baby," she greets back tiredly as she rolls her head to the side to smile at me. "What have you been doing today?"

Grinning at her, I tell about the lunch I had with Eden, and going to the store with him, too. I deliberately left out that the store we went to was a baby store, or that I went back into that store to buy him a few items.

Mum's lazy smile widens as she shocks me by asking; "He told you he is pregnant, didn't he?"

My jaw drops in shock, and I stutter; "W-what? You know about his pregnancy?"

He told me the day you met him," she admits shyly. "He admitted it to me because I was slightly pushing for him to meet you because you both are single, and he told me he did not want to date you because of his pregnancy."

I am absolutely shocked by this, and I stay quiet for a moment before saying; "His pregnancy must be why he turned me down both times I asked him out. Maybe one day in the future our friendship will blossom into a possible romantic relationship. I think I need to prove to him that his baby is not a problem for me."

"Gage, please do not push Eden into something that he may not be interested in or ready for," mum says with a deep frown. "I think he is still dealing with his baby's other parent leaving them the way he did."

"I know mum," I assure her with a smile. "I won't push him, or deliberately hurt him as that is not my intention. If we just remain as friends, then that is fine, too."