Chapter 2

Quietly entering Mrs. McCoy's room when she does not answer my knock, I find her soundly sleeping. Walking as lightly as I can over to her monitors, and drips to check everything, and adjust on of her drips slightly. Logging my findings into the iPad, I turn when I finished to leave, but falter in my steps when I see her looking at me with sleepy eyes.

"Hi Mrs. McCoy, I am sorry for waking you," I murmur with a slight frown.

"I am glad I woke actually," she croaks in a raspy voice as she rubs her right eye. "I wanted to apologize for pushing my son onto you. I should not meddle in others love life."

Biting my lower lip lightly, I try to reassure her; "It is okay, Mrs. McCoy. It is just that I am not currently in the position to date."

She now is frowning at me with a sad expression; " I can accept that, but may I ask why? You seem like such a lovely young man, and I think you and Gage would compliment each other well."

"Um, if I tell you, will you please promise not to tell anyone?" I nervously question, and for some strange reason I feel as I have know her my entire life, and can tell her anything.

She nods seriously as she promises as she holds her left pinky out toward me; "Of course you can, Eden. I swear I will keep your secret."

Inhaling deeply as I wrap my left pinky around her's; "My ex-boyfriend left me five months ago, and I am six moths pregnant with his baby. I tried telling him on several different occasions, but I gave up, so he does not know about our baby. I do not think I should date right now as this baby is my first priority."

"I can understand your reasoning, Eden, but don't you think you deserve happiness?" she questions lightly with a raised right eyebrow. "Now with that said, I will respect your decision, and not push the subject."

"Thank you, Mrs. McCoy," I whisper with a tiny, sad smile. "Do you need anything before I continue on my rounds?"

"No thank you, love," she answers with a small as her eyes flutter close with a deep sigh.

Quietly as I can, I leave her room to finish my rounds before starting my rounds all over again. When I reach Mrs. McCoy's room again, I hear her talking, so I can only assume she has a visitor, or is on a phone call, either way I assume she speaking with her son. Fuck me while running, I do not want to face both of them together.

Silently groaning at having to intrude on her visit or phone call, and I hope it is not with her son, but I am certain it is. Knocking on the door, I do not wait long before Mrs. McCoy gives me permission to enter the room, so I inhale deeply as I enter the room. Yup, her son is in the room with her along with a pretty female that is sitting right next to Mr. McCoy who has his arm draped casually over the back of her chair. They look extremely cozy together, like in a romantic kind of way, and for some damn reason this hurts my heart a little.

Giving everyone a forced fake smile, I silently go about my duty before quietly asking Mrs. McCoy if she needs anything, and how she is feeling. She says she does not need anything, and that she is feel good at the moment.

"That is great, Mrs. McCoy," I reply with a genuine smile. "Now, you have dialysis in two hours, so I will be back in an hour and a half to fetch you, and take you down there. When your treatment is done, I will bring you back here."

She nods before briefly glancing at the two others before looking back at me; "May they attend with me, so I can have company?"

"As long as there is not too many others in the room, the yes they may," I reply with another forced smile as my emotions start to get the best of me.

Excusing myself before I make a fool of myself in front of them, I finish my rounds before taking my much needed fifteen minute break. Entering the staff lounge, I lightly groan at my aching back, feet, and ankles.

"Are you alright, Eden?" Alexis questions as she takes a seat next to me with two unopened bottles of water, one that she slides over to me with a soft smile.

"Thanks Lex," I say with a tired smile, opening the water to guzzle half of it before answering her; "My back, ankles, and feet are aching. I am so over this shift, and I am ready to be at home with my feet up, eating delivery while watching a movie, and take a nice warm bath before sleeping."

She pouts at me sympathetically as she softly rubs my lower back causing me to let out a soft groan in appreciation. She presses slightly at the small of my back easing some of the pain and ache.

"You are the best," I groan as my eyes slip close in bliss at some relief.

"Is everything okay in here?" Mr. McCoy's voice filters into the room.

Snapping my eyes open to see him entering the staff lounge. Jeez, I get his mum is a patient here, but why does he think he can walk into the staff lounge like he owns the place.

"Who are you, and why are you just walking into the staff lounge like you own the place?" Alexis demands as she continues to press the heel of her hand into the small of my back.

Mr. McCoy frowns at Alexis, then looks between the two of us as he says; "I do not own the hospital, but I do make a hefty yearly donation to the hospital. I need to speak with Eden."

"Eden is on his much needed break," Alexis firmly states, not impressed with Mr. McCoy who is starting to annoy me, too. "You can speak with him when he is back on the clock."

Mr. McCoy's frown deepens, and I sigh having the bad feeling that he won't give up until he speaks with me; "It is fine. I will speak with him now."

Standing slowly to my feet with my left hand on the side of my belly where Ean is kicking the hell out of me, and I gesture for Mr. McCoy to head into the hallway, so we can speak. I might as well head back to work early, and maybe I can leave a couple of minutes early at the end of my shift.