(12) The Man Upstairs

I was about to head back inside to think over what had happened but a voice made me pause just as my hand touched the doorknob. "Hello, Ms. Elizabeth. Do you perhaps have a minute to spare?" When I realized it was only the neighbor lady, I thought over her request. Earlier she had repaired my doll so I would happily repay the favor. "Oh, hello. Do you need help with something?" As Jora walked closer, I joined her at the bottom of the steps before she held out a wrapped dinner plate.

"Yes, I'm afraid I made these treats for the man upstairs but after my performance last night I can't make it up the steps. Would you mind taking these to him on my behalf?" I hadn't met that neighbor yet although I didn't mind running them up to save her the trip. "Sure, I can do that" Taking the plate from her hands I watched as they fell to her sides before she started to speak. "Thank you! You're truly kind I can see why the Young Master chose you to occupy his time. Tell me is he doing well?"

I looked at her but still wasn't sure who this person was she kept talking about. "Who is this Young Master?" She had mentioned him when I was in her apartment as well although now, I hoped to at least receive an explanation. "Oh, silly me. You have been calling him Mingo... or are you referring to him as Doffy now? He is quite selective when allowing someone to call him that" How did she know that? I could have continued to think over what she said although had already begun to speak since my curiosity had gotten the best of me. "Wait, you know Doflamingo?"

"Of course, I do. Has he not spoken of the most beautiful member of his family?" She was a little full of herself but I kept the comment to myself and moved on to other things. "No... He said his family all abandoned him... You're one of them, aren't you?" Her eyes seemed to narrow but I ignored the odd behavior as she tried to play innocent. "One of what dear?" I had done enough risky things for one day although one more wouldn't matter so asked the question without hesitation. "Don't play stupid with me. You're a Devourer, aren't you?"

"How else do you think I stay this young and beautiful? Now, take those treats up to Vergo-san. He can explain more about the Young Master than I ever could" It was almost like she was trying to get rid of me but I didn't mind since after a second of staring at her my eyes shifted to look at the stairs that lead up to the man's apartment. I had plenty of daylight left however before I went up there, I wanted to know what this lady did to Doflamingo. "Why did you abandon Doffy?" He had said it once or twice before and his voice held such pain when his family was brought up.

"We did not abandon him. If that were the case then we wouldn't be waiting for him to open the gates... I've said too much. Please forgive me but I need to go before he knows I am here" I watched as the neighbor disappeared down her staircase. Once she was gone, I turned my focus on the plate she had handed me. Setting it on the ground and walking away had crossed my mind, but if I did that, I might have been throwing away the chance to learn more about Doflamingo.

"Here goes nothing"

~~~~~~~~~~

Elsewhere...

Vergo's Pov

"The brat is coming up here? I suppose I will have to deal with her" I had thought I had been alone but soon enough another person started to yell. She should have been taking a nap in the other room or at least not bothering me although I should have known she'd be keeping tabs on me. "No, Vergo-san! The Young Master likes her so we need to convince her that he is a good man!" There had to be some information she knew since that did not sound like him. "Doffy is not the type to like a person unless they have something he wants. What does this brat have to offer him?"

"Well... He made her that bracelet! Did you not see it!? That is the Young Master's work!" I had to think it over, but I remember seeing that bracelet wrapped around her wrist. "Does that mean something, Sugar?" She had turned her head away although I didn't think much about her childish behavior. Sugar had always been like that; she was turned too young and never abandoned that childish demeanor. "The Young Master has never given a homemade gift besides those creepy dolls!" Again, the girl had made a good point however my ears were beginning to ring from her constant shouting. "Must you be so loud?"