Chapter 1- Excitement And Embarrassment

It's finally the day and I'm not talking about the fact that it's Monday morning. It's my first day in SS3. I glance involuntarily at my uniform ironed to a crisp and hanging on my wardrobe and I can't help the smile that graces my lips.

      I am a student at Crestwood  High. It's one of the biggest schools in Ikoyi, if not the whole state. I turn the lights off in my room and the only source of light is the soft glow of the moon from the window. I’m sitting on my soft pink bed with the duvet tangled around my feet. I have been awake since 5am and there is no hope of me falling back asleep.

      I stretch my body and look out the window. The sky is no longer decorated with stars. I briefly glance at my alarm clock and the neon lights read ‘6 am’.

      I sigh and look around my room. Everywhere is pink. From the wardrobe, to the walls, to the bed. All pink. You’ll think a unicorn threw up in here, especially with the grey stain that’s permanently on my plush pink rug. It isn't puke though. It's paint courtesy of my little brother, Kiiti.

       I was about nine then and I was mixing some paint. I left for less than five minutes to see him playing with the paint on the floor. He was just three then. I was fuming with rage, but my mom didn't even flinch. She just yelled at me for keeping it within his reach.
How was I supposed to know that he'll touch it?
My dad offered to replace it, but I refused. I needed a reminder to never to let Kiiti in my room again.

     I bring myself back to reality and pluck my phone from under my pillow. I call my best friend, Jasmine. Hopefully, she'll be awake.

    "Hello?" she asks, her voice still groggy from sleep.

     "Hey," I say excitedly.

      "Why are you calling me so early in the morning?" She asks and I hear shuffling in the background like she’s sitting up.

     "We're officially in senior year," I say with a squeal.

      "Fayokemi," she calls sternly. She always calls me by my full name when she's trying to be serious. Sort of reminds me of my mom. "What's the time?"

     "6 am ma."

     "Do not tell me you woke me up for this. Goodnight."

      "It's morning," I whisper yell before she hangs up and chuckle at her grumpiness. Today's going to be perfect.

   Not.

      By sunrise, I had fallen back asleep. Kiiti burst into my room.
"Mom said if you're not ready in five minutes, you're walking yourself to school." It’s no joke. I've legit walked to school but then, it isn't that far.

     By the time I’m ready, it had started to rain. Heavily. We rush into the car and my mom keeps asking Kiiti questions about how he feels about his first day. He’s resuming JSS1. Whenever she asks me a question, I mumble a reply and look out the window watching the rain.

     We get to school and the rain still hasn't let out. In my hurry to get Kiiti and me in, I trip and fall in the mud. My hands and knees are holding me up, but my uniform isn't spared.

    "Sister Kemi, are you okay?" Kiiti asks, looking concerned.

    "I'm fine. Let's get in" I reply and hurry us inside.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hey guys. Thanks so much for checking out my story ❤️. I hope you liked this chapter. More to come😊