Chapter 35 - Peer Pressure And Pain

Happy new year, loves❤️❤️.
This chapter is so late, I know. I, myself didn't think it'd take this long to finish this book😂.

Let's get into it.
.
.
.
.
     It's finally the day for the inter-house sports competition. Am I excited? No, because Crestville arranged a last minute mock exam this very week.

     Unfortunately, I won't be there to coordinate my 'patewo' club members aka students that would rather cheer than partake in any sports activity.

      The sport prefects themselves will not be there to coordinate the entire event. They arrived first thing this morning and ensured everything was in order before moving to the academic block by eight and after the exam for today, they'll be back there again. Stress. Somebody should help me praise God that I'm not a sports prefect.

     Nobody is even taking the mock seriously, which is weird because I spent last night solving equations for our mathematics paper. We're all spaced out and scattered around, which means Isaac isn't beside me. Infact, I'm all the way in the front row just by the window while he's in the fifth row.

      "Okay, everybody. Let's get started," the CRS teacher for arts department says as he walks in and slams the papers in his hand on the table in front of the classroom. I square my shoulders and take a deep breath. I shouldn't be stressing but I am. It's just mock, I repeat in my head. To me, it determines how well I'll do in my SSCE and other exams.

       An hour and thirty minutes later, and we're out of the classroom. Maths was maths, but it's on to the next subject for the day after our thirty minutes break. In between my eyes fluttering closed every two seconds and my stomach growling, I'm conflicted. The next subject isn't all too bad. It's civic education, I like civic.

      "Babe, I'm starving. Do you have chocolate?" Jasmine says taping on my desk. I refuse to open my eyes, but I manage to shake my head. "Aren't you going to the cafeteria?" Cafeteria. It feels so far away. I'll have to climb the stairs up and down and—

      I shake my head again, only to be dragged up by her. "Let's go and eat."

     We head to the cafeteria and grab our plates before heading to where Chichi is seated with Temi and Sophia. "Did you draw your graph?" Chichi asks him.

      "The question should be did I draw what should be drawn?" he says with an exasperated sigh. "What is it meant to be?"

       "It sort of looked like an infinity sign. It intersected sha," David says.

       "Infinity?" Temi asks, and David nods. "Well, I guess what I get shouldn't surprise me."

       The rest of the group comes over and we eat lunch, mostly in silence. By ten sharp, we're back in our classes. I finish the questions sooner than I thought I would and leave the class only to bump into my house's sport mistress.

      "Kemi, I'm so happy to see you," she says.

      "Good afternoon, Miss Motunrayo." I like Miss Motunrayo. When I first started my 'patewo' group, she teased me so much about it. She thought I was made for a sport and tried hard to find it. Two weeks later, she realized she was wrong and just let me do my thing. "How're the games going?"

      "Badly. One of the soccer players pulled a muscle during warmups."

       "Oh. Did you find a replacement?"

       "I just did. You!" Me??!!

         "I think you've got it wrong. Me? It can't be me. I don't do sports and I'm so tired and stressed from the exams and—"

          "She'll do it," Jasmine says, standing in front of me.

        "She'll do what? Who's 'she'?" I ask and push her out of the way. "There should be other juniors that can help ma."

       "No, there aren't. She's going to do it," Chichi says, coming from nowhere and I start suspecting that I'm being set up. I tug her arm to turn her towards me.

      "I am not doing it."

      "She needs you," Chichi says, but I stand my ground.

     "Your team needs you," Jasmine says, and I laugh humorlessly.

      "I'm not doing it."

       "Do it and we'll get you anything you want," Jasmine says.

       "Is this a setup? I'm not going to sweat my guts out on a field," I say.

      "Please–" she starts again.

       "Kemi, there's no time for you to act like a baby about this. You're going to put on a jersey and get on that field. Okay?" Chichi asks.

     "No way."

      "What's going on?" Jacob asks, walking in our direction.

     "She won't play for her team even though they desperately need her," Jasmine answers, gesturing to me.

     "Kems, come on."

     "Not you too!"

     "You're doing this. No questions asked. Let's go," Miss Motunrayo says and turns around to walk down the stairs.

       "But I... this can't be happening," I say running my hand through my braids.

        "It'll be fun, trust me," Jasmine says and pulls me in the direction Miss Motunrayo took. This will be anything but fun. "Let's get you in some shorts."

        This is a bad idea. That's all I'm thinking as Miss Motunrayo preps us up. What am I doing on the field? I'm never on the field. I look to the sidelines and see Jasmine cheering and clapping with Jacob and Chichi. That's what I am supposed to be doing. Not wearing a jersey and trying to stop my heart from racing.

       "...do you hear me?" Miss Motunrayo asks. I nod even though I didn't hear a thing. The match is about to begin, so we go to our positions. I'm on defense. It sounds simple. The ball must not go into the net. Easy peasy.

       The whistle blows and the match starts. It's not as challenging as I earlier thought. Thirty minutes into it and I've gotten a hang of it. I'm actually enjoying this. When our team finally scores the first goal of the match, I'm high on adrenaline, ignoring the fact that I'm all hot and sweaty.

      At half time, we're back in a huddle and I'm trying to gulp as much water as I can to fight the heat. Miss Motunrayo keeps trying to motivate us to get us to win but I can tell from how many times she wrings her fingers that she's absolutely nervous.

     "Kemi, you're doing great, but I need you guys to strengthen your defense. Nothing should get past you guys got it?" She asks and I nod. The other defense player, Lizzy, nudges me and I smile.

      We're back on the pitch and it feels like we might actually win this thing. Well, until two girls from the other team shove me out of the way and I'm writhing in pain on the grass.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
She finally played a sport. How ironic is it that it's the last one she'll ever play in school😂? I'm pretty sure she's never going to play again.

Vote, comment and do well to share ❤️.
XOXO ❤️❤️