Chapter 19 - Debates And Swooning

Updates have been coming steadily or at least, as steadily as I can make them 😂. Enjoy 😚❤️
.
.
.
.
   Two weeks later.....

       It's finally the day of the debate and I'm bursting with nerves. I'm currently at a meeting with everyone that would be representing Crestview in the debate. Mr Ajayi is giving us a little prep talk.

    "....so don't be afraid. You've worked so hard and your efforts won't be in vain. Let's bring the gold home" he ends and starts clapping. I can't bring myself to smile. I'm always nervous every year but it's worse this time around because it's my last one and I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to win for the first time since JSS3. It's my last debate. As captain and as a student in Crestview.

     "Kemi" Mr Ajayi calls. I walk with him outside the room and he turns to me. "I know you're nervous but you need to calm down and breathe. You can do this. I know you can. We both do" he says and puts his hand on my shoulder, giving it a pat. "I'll meet you out there" he says and turns to leave.

    "Thank you sir" I say. He nods and leaves. I take in deep breaths and decide to walk to the garden to clear my head. I still have an hour or two before the debate. I take a sit on one of the benches.

      "Hey" I look up to see Sophia and I smiled. It's been a while since we sat down to talk.

     "Hey" I say once she's sitted beside me.

    "It's been a while hasn't it? You've been scarce"

     "See who's talking. You're always busy"

      "Yeah sorry. Prefect stuffs and the likes but we should hang out more" she says and smiles apologetically.

     "Sure. Just say when" I say and lean back on the bench.

     "You're going to do great. Don't sweat it" she says nudging me. "And if you don't it's fine. Sure, it's your last one but have fun with it".

    "Thanks Soph" I say with a smile. "Get a bucket of ice cream ready after school in case I don't win" I say with a laugh.

    "And if you do?" She asks with a smirk.

    "We'll still need it na. You can never go wrong with ice cream" I say and we both laugh. "Let's go back inside" I say and drag her up with me.

    By the time we get to our block, the Mountaineers have arrived. I can spot Michael, their captain. He still has that aura around him. That confidence. He's gotten darker but it does nothing to make him less attractive. He's an epitome of hardcore melanin. I can already see some of my set girls drooling over him but then who wouldn't?

     Just when I think I've stared enough, he turns, catching me and stretches his pink lips into a small smile.

     "Kemi, let's go na" Sophia says and tries pulling me. I have forgotten we are supposed to go somewhere. I have even forgotten she's beside me.

     "Babes wait first. He's coming over" I say only glancing at her for a second. Michael is the captain of the debate team in Mountaineers High and he's also the head boy. He makes his way over to us and his face erupted in a full blown grin. Being this attractive is meant to be a crime. Right?! He should seriously be charged with a couple months!

      "Fayokemi, what's up na? How've you been?" He said in his deep baritone voice. I've been good. Perfectly fine. I realized I didn't say that out loud when he kept looking at me waiting for an answer.

       "I'm good. How are you?" I asked and we explained pleasantries. "You remember Sophia right?" I asked and gestured towards her.

     "Of course I do. Bae what's up?" Sophia didn't answer at first. Who's starstruck now? She regained her composure and muttered a reply.