Chapter 33 - Reconciliations And Friendship

Hey, people🖤. This chapter is just me saying I'm alive.😂
.
.
.
.
     True to his word, Nick calls the next day. Although, I don't remember giving him my number. It's suddenly the worst day of the week. Scratch that, the only amazing day is Friday. My mom doesn't wait for me to get ready so, I'm late. I walk to class and greet Isaac with a smile when I see him.

     "Morning," he says and I reply, sitting down.

      "Kemi, Kemi, guess what?" Chichi yells, running to me.

     "You're finally ready to come clean about playing an electronic guitar?"

      "No. Wait, how do you know that?"

      "What am I guessing?" I ask, changing the subject.

      "Mr. James is sick!" she screams, spinning around happily.

      "Really?!" I exclaim, shooting up from my seat. "Wait, are we supposed to be happy? People will think we actually prayed for his sickness."

      "Then, what will they say when they see Jamiu tearing up his Financial Accounting note outside? Some people are even throwing it away."

        "But he hasn't retired na. What happens when he comes back and suddenly asks for the note, like the way he did last week?" I ask. She's about to reply when Jamiu comes in.

        "Freedom!!!" he yells, raising his hands and half the class choruses.

       "What's going on here? Settle down," the VP says, walking in and Jamiu all but flies to his seat. "I want you all to submit your accounts note."

       I turn to Jamiu to see all the color drain from his face and from the corner of my eye, Jerry has the same expression. So much for freedom.

     "When did you find out?" Chichi asks as we walk to the library together with our hands looped together. It's another period of research for one of the SS1 classes and she sprung at the idea of leaving the class. Typical.

       "Last week," I say as we step into the library, stopping to greet Mrs. Ola, the librarian. "Why didn't you just tell me? Is it a secret or something?" We head to the back to find some students leaning against the shelves playing games on their phones, and they quickly return to their seats.

     "I didn't think you'll understand. It's not exactly something a normal teenage girl would do," she says as we opt for a table that overlooks where the students are seated.

     "Define normal," I say, crossing my hands on the table. "There's no such thing as a 'normal teenage girl'. Never has been."

      "Let's just say my parents have this vision of how they expect their only child to behave and I'm not one to be caged in a box by expectations."

       I won't lie and say I didn't know that her wild side is something her parents aren't fond of, but she doesn't like to talk about her parents and I don't push her, especially when I know it makes her uncomfortable. I can't count how many times teachers have held one-on-one meetings with her mother because they thought she was challenging them. I nudge her with my elbow.

      "I think almost every parent has this 'idea' of how they want their child to be, but it shouldn't stop you from doing you. You shouldn't hide parts of yourself because you're afraid of being judged."

        "Thanks," she says and shakes her head. "Okay, enough mushy stuff. I'm uncomfortable." I laugh and shake my head. Typical Chichi. Touchy stuffs were never her thing.