Chapter 25 - Long talks And Holding Back

I pull the phone away from my ear to make sure my mind isn't playing tricks on me.

        "Are you there?" I hear as I place it back.

        "I'm busy" I say and hang up. This is probably the most stupid thing I've ever done. Hold up...it's not. Not even close but it's still stupid. Should I have just heard her out?

        I take my shower and change into something comfortable and take the walk with Kiiti because, he so dearly wants my company. The outside did nothing to cool my nerves. So many emotions are running through me. One of which is anger. I am fuming. She wants to talk? She wants to talk? What about when I wanted to talk? I take in deep breaths of the fresh chilly air in a bid to calm myself down.

         An hour later and we're back home. A very long hour later. An hour that felt like a whole day. Luckily, Kiiti has already eaten so I don't need to rush around trying to prepare something. I flop down on my bed with a thud. Should I call her back? I think as I stare at the phone lying on the bed. Nope. I'm not doing that. If she really wants to talk, she's going to have to work for it.

        I shove the phone under one of my pillows so I won't have to see it. Out of sight, out of mind. Or so I thought. I really need a distraction. I could read but who reads a couple days to Christmas. I don't love school that much to do that. I pick up my phone to watch a movie online. The same one I'm trying to get away from. So ironical.

        Thirty minutes later, I'm pacing around my room constructing what I'm going to say when she calls. If she calls. I shake my head to clear my thoughts. This is ridiculous. I sit at my vanity and stare at my reflection. I feel so stressed, I look like I'm losing weight. Now, I don't know if it's a bad thing or a good thing. I sigh deeply.

        "Kemi, I'm home" I hear a feminine voice announce as footsteps draw closer to the room. My mother. She opens the door just as I stand up sporting a pink blazer with matching trousers. 

      "How was work?"

      "It's been months since you asked me that" she says as she sits down by the desk and I frown feeling bad.

       "Sorry"

       "It's fine baby. So, how was the date?" She asks taking off her heels.

       "It wasn't a date" I say groaning inwardly. Mother. Stop.

         "Is something wrong?" She asks again.

          "No. Why?"

          "Call it a mother's intuition" she replies and I laugh. "I haven't seen the girls around in a while" she points out and that was enough for me to stop laughing. We're both silent for a while with her just staring at me. "Eh he. What are plates doing in the sink? Who'll wash them?" She fires getting back in to her usual 'Iya Kemi' character but also trying to stir away from that conversation.

        "I'm not the one that used them. It's Kiiti" I defend.

         "Mi o fe mo. You saw the plates. You didn't tell him to wash it and as the older one, you didn't wash it either?" She asks warning me with her eyes. "Let's go downstairs"

         "Mommy, I didn't see the plates. I didn't even enter the kitchen"

        "Downstairs" she says and leaves. I rush out knowing better than to let her get there first. It's to ship that child called Kiiti away like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      I wake up Christmas Eve to a knock on my bedroom door. Correction: someone pounding and yelling from the other side. I feels like I was waking up to a headache. With my head still groggy with sleep, I shuffle towards the door and unlock it letting the person at the other side in.