Chapter 32 - Lunch And Secret Codes

Don't kill me please😭😂😂
.
.
.
.
       “I'm Kiiti. Who are you?” my brother asks when he finally makes his way to us.

       “Nicholas,” Nick replies with a smile. Something tells me we won't finish our conversation.

        “Don’t you have homework to do?” I ask Kiiti, which is code for ‘make yourself scarce’. But he isn't looking at me. He’s entire attention is on Nick as he asks him if he likes Legos. I’m tempted to kick him in the leg and pretend I saw a mosquito. I clear my throat. “I’m going to the kitchen,” I announce, standing up and trying to hide the bag of chocolates when I notice Kiiti staring at it.

         “Did you change your mind about what you want you cook?” he asks, and I grit my teeth before stopping halfway to the kitchen to glare at him. He looks away and I mentally note that when Nick leaves, Kiiti will have to disappear.

      “No. And I'm not going to.”

        “What if I ask mommy?” he asks again and I march up to him.

        “What if you stay hungry?” I say and he mutters an apology before scurrying up the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       “Is this enough?”

       “Are you seriously asking me if the whole jar is enough for jollof rice?” Nick asks, his eyebrows raised. “You’re not meant to be allowed in the kitchen.

       “I’m a great cook,” I say with my chin up.

        “How many times have you convinced yourself that you know what you’re doing in the kitchen?” he asks, amused.

        “That hurt,” I say with a pout.

         “I’ll cook, you’ll watch,” he says, moving to collect the jar of pepper from me and I snort.

        “You sure?”

        “Babe, I baked you a cake. I’m sure.” Again with that endearment. I drop the jar and rub my eyes. Bad mistake.

        “Shit.”

        “What is it?” he asks, moving closer.

        “I’ve got pepper in my eyes,” I say, holding back a scream.

        “Well, quit rubbing it,” he says, pulling my hands away from my face. “Let’s wash it off.”

        He directs me to the sink and I feel his –surprisingly– soft hands on my face before I finally open my eyes. “Better?” he asks and I nod. I take in the space –or lack of it– between us, and my breath hitches.

         I suddenly feel too short, the kitchen feels too small, my shorts too short, his face too close and I want to step back a little and breathe without inhaling his cologne, but my feet just won’t move. I’m close enough to notice a faint scar by his left eye and just how dark his brown eyes are. I swallow when I meet his intense gaze and I finally look away. He takes a step back and clears his throat. “I–”

        “The rice.”

        “Yeah, the rice,” he repeats, scratching the back of his head. “Let’s get started.”

         An hour and a half later, I feel like stuffed chicken but I keep eating my third slice of cake because my mouth obviously doesn’t listen to my tummy. “You good?” Nick asks with an amused smile and I give him a thumbs up.

          I don’t know why I doubted the guy. He can cook. Really. But I couldn’t help the little part of me that felt betrayed, embarrassed and extremely annoyed, all at once, when the brother God blessed me with subtly suggested that I learnt to cook from Nicholas.

       I’m pretty sure steam was coming out of ears and I looked like a red bull, but I didn’t care. I held my fork tightly in my hand, already imagining it being lodged in his throat. As if reading my thoughts, he shut up and ate his food before returning to his room. He hasn’t come down since then and I was more than happy.

         “Okay, I’m stuffed,” I say, finally giving up and dropping the plate on the coffee table. I stand from my position opposite Nick and go to sit on the other end of the couch he’s on. “I still don’t get what we’re watching.”

        “It’s flash,” he says, like it’s self-explanatory.

        “So?” He gives me a look. “He went back in time to stop his mom from dying so, how did he lose his powers? And since when did we have a girl that also came from Krypton the same time Superman did?”

       “Is this your first time watching a superhero movie?” he asks turning to me and I turn to face him too, hooking my left leg up on the couch.

        “If you’re asking if I’ve ever found Chris Evans and Tom Holland attractive, then, I’m embarrassed to say yes,” I reply and he bursts out laughing.

          “You find Chris Evans attractive?” he asks, struggling to keep a straight face.

          “I’m sorry, but did you see him in ‘ghosted’?”

          “Fayokemi, you always seem to amaze me.” My name rolls off his tongue and I fumble with the hem of my shirt.

         “I’m full of surprises,” I say with a shy smile, and he looks at me the way he did in the kitchen. Intense and breathtaking. His phone rings and he looks away from me to check who it is.

           “Excuse me.” He walks out the room and I take the moment to calm my racing heart and even my breathing. Nick is just a guy. A very cute and sweet guy who knows his way around a kitchen and has an amazing personality, doesn’t care about my stupid quirks, but regardless, just a guy.

          “I’ve got to go,” he says when he gets back.

         “Everything okay?”

         “Yeah. I just have some errands to run,” he says picking up his jacket and bends till he’s face to face with me. I curl up my fist to prevent pushing away a loose curl from his eyes. “It’s really nice to see you. I missed your funny little self.” He stands upright and gestures for me to walk him to the door. “I’ll call you tomorrow.” He disappears down the driveway.

     It’s not until I get back to the kitchen, that I realize that my chocolates are missing.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I was supposed to drop this chapter two weeks ago but omo, procrastination 😭. I hope you loved it.
Vote. Comment. Share.
XOXO❤️❤️