Chapter 22 - Avoiding And Hangouts.

We don't hear from Jasmine the next day or in the days that follow. It's like she has become invisible. I try checking her at home but nothing. Completely nothing. Apparently, she's always out or maybe that's what the security guard is told to tell me. Either way, I've giving up on trying to find out what's wrong and I'm really missing my best friend.

     I'm over at Sophia's and she's been acting fidgety all morning. I look up from my phone and peered at her. Her knee was jumping. Just slightly.

    "Spill"

    "Huh?" her face dart in my direction so fast I thought she might have a whiplash.

    "What's up with you today? Is there something I need to know maybe?" I ask, narrowing my eyes.

     "Uhhh nope. I'm just so worried about Jasmine" she says running her hand through her afro. "Have you...have you heard from her?"

     "Not a word. You?"

     "Nothing" she replies, her eyes constantly darting from me to her phone on the table and it makes me cock an eyebrow.

      "You're sure you're okay though?"

     "Definitely" she replies with a nod. I go to sit beside her and hold her hand in fake concern like I'm trying to figure out if she's lying and I quickly grab her phone.

      "Kemi" she says warning me silently. We're standing face to face now.

       "Don't Kemi me. You've been acting all strange and I want to know why. Keep it in mind that I know when you're lying Sophia" I say putting her phone in my back pocket.

      "Fine. We've been in contact with Jasmine. I and Chichi"

      "Isn't that supposed to be good news?" I ask. I'm literally confused. She was saying it like it's a death sentence.

     "We've been in contact since that ball. I went to see her yesterday too"

     "But I went over yesterday and Dayo said she was out". Now, I'm even more confused. She knows how worried I've been so why didn't she take me with her. And, Dayo is a security guard just so you know.

      "I know. I was in the house when that happened" she says staring at her feet.

      "Basically, what you're trying to say is that it's just me that she's been avoiding?"

       "She just needs some time to think.....I think" she says sitting back down.

       "This is so ridiculous" I say landing on the sofa with a thump.

      "If you want...." Sophia starts.

       "Just drop the issue. Let's talk about something else".

       I don't know if I'm pissed or annoyed or hurt or even upset. It's completely ridiculous for my own best friend to be ignoring me. If there's a problem, she's supposed to tell me. Even if I'm the problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

       It's been a week since that day at Sophia's and almost two weeks since the holidays began and I've pinpointed which emotion I'm feeling. I'm utterly and completely angry and at the same time confused. Angry because, I feel stupid now for going to her place. Sophia and Chichi knew I was going there a couple times and knowing I was going to just stand in front of her gate like a fool, they let me go. So stupid. And confused because I don't even know what I did wrong. Utterly frustrating!!

Ding dong

  I glance at the door and go back to watching my movie in the living room. I'm the only one at home. Well, my dad's home but it kinda feels like I'm home alone because he's been cupped up in his study and my mom's dropping Kiiti off at a friend's. I'm trying to enjoy my Saturday. Trying.