Chapter 36 - 'Winning' And Interrogations.

The image above was how I imagined the ending of this chapter😂.

.
.
.

        "Are you okay?" Lizzy asks and drags me to a sitting position.

        "I think I got the wind knocked right out of me."

        "How can you joke right now?"

        "You think I'm joking?" I ask incredulously. Just then, Miss Motunrayo rushes to my side and inspects for any injuries I might have sustained.

       "Where does it hurt?" she asks, her forehead creased in worry and I tell her I'm fine. I wasn't at first, I felt lightheaded, but I'm fine now.

        "Oh my gosh, Kemi!" Jasmine exclaims, checking my temperature like I suddenly became ill before turning to the two that pushed me. "Did you two suddenly forget this was supposed to be a friendly match? The principal is watching."

        It's then I look around and remember that almost the whole school is watching. The referee standing a few feet away motions to know if the match can carry on. There's no way I'm playing again.

       "Kemi, will you—" Miss Motunrayo starts. Absolutely not.

       "No, ma. I think I'll sit the rest of the game out," I cut in, rising to my feet and making my way to the canopies. Of course, this happens when I try to play a sport.

       I sit with the rest of the 'patewo' squad members and clap half-heartedly. The referee gives yellow cards to the two girls but that doesn't do much to pacify me. I fell. In front of the whole school. It isn't until we win the match that my lips finally tug in a smug smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      "I heard you fell."

       I turn to David so sharply; I think I hear my neck crack. "I was shoved."

      "Alright then," he says with his hands up.

        I turn back to the award ceremony where, surprisingly, my house gets third. It's better than being last. Way better. The red house gets last, blue gets second and, of course, Chichi's house which is green, claims the cup. It doesn't even shock me.

       "Why did you guys have to try this year?" Jacob asks and sits on my right. My mouth drops open. "My house carried last."

       "Eyah. But it's not my fault na. Your house didn't try hard enough."

      "This time last year, you didn't want to even talk about the event. Now that you're not rolling in last place, you're talking about effort," he says laughing.

      "There's something about not losing. Losers won't understand," I retort, and David is quick to laugh. Of course, it doesn't bother him who wins. Blue house will always get second.

      "Blood of—"

      "Well, at least this is the first time we're losing. Your house has been losing even before you came into the school," Jacob interjects. "You guys will still claim last next year, but you won't even be here to give your moral support."

     I scowl and turn to face Joshua directly, but he just bursts out laughing.

     "It's not funny."

      "It is," he says, trying to restrain himself from laughing.

       "You insulted my pride."

        All restraint goes out the window when I say that, and he laughs in my face. I almost crack a smile, but I choose instead to stand up and walk away. I see Chichi and cling to her arm.