eight

Luke opened the door to his house slowly and quietly. He really didn't want to wake up his mother. She fell asleep right before two am with too much alcohol in her system once again. 

That was why Luke went to Rosa's house. He just needed a place to stay that wasn't his house. He couldn't sleep in the house when all he heard was his mother's snores all the time. His mind was just too loud and he needed someone.

Luke didn't know why he chose Rosa when he had other friends. He did not know why he didn't go to Calum or Michael's house. He just knew that Rosa made him stop thinking about his mother, she made him think about her instead and he kind of liked it.

"Luke!?" someone yelled, making Luke sigh. 

"Yeah mum?" Luke asked, walking into the living room where she had bottles around her again. 

It was noon and she had already started drinking. 

"I thought you left me, I thought you left me like Andrew did." she cried. 

Luke frowned, grabbing her hand. 

"I wouldn't leave you." Luke said honestly. 

He couldn't. He didn't have the heart to leave his own mother. He loved her and even though she hadn't been his mother for a long time, he was still hoping she would come back.

"Where were you?" she asked. Luke shrugged. 

"I visited Rosa." he mumbled, not really sure why he told her who he visited. 

"Rosa? I have never heard about her before." his mother slurred. 

"Is she nice?" his mother asked. 

Luke started smiling a bit. 

"Well, she is something... She can be nice, but I don't think I have earned her trust yet, but I will.". 

Luke had never talked about a girl to his mother before, well except Mia in kindergarden though. His mother didn't even know he had a girlfriend named Britney nor who Britney was, but he wanted it to stay like that. 

"Girls can be like that. I used to be like that with Andrew before we started dating." she said.

Luke nodded, knowing she would start to cry if he didn't change the subject. 

"Are you hungry mum?". 

His mother stared out of the window for a few seconds before she nodded. 

"I'll go make you some food." he explained, walking over to the kitchen.

When he came into the kitchen, he started thinking about Rosa again and felt a bit sad. What she had told him before he left kind of hurt. He knew it didn't mean anything and that it wasn't a big deal, people fell asleep like that all the time, but he kind of liked being that close to Rosa.

Luke made pasta to his mother and walked over to her, giving her a plate. She grabbed it quickly and smiled. Luke sat down in the other couch, eating his own pasta. 

"Luke?" she asked her. Luke raised an eyebrow at her and she smiled. 

"Maybe you could invite Rosa over some time?" she asked nervously.

Luke bit down on his bottom lip, not sure what to say. Did he want to show Rosa his life? He didn't want to hurt his mother either. 

"I'll be sober." she added, closing her eyes a little. 

Luke didn't say anything for a long time, he was just staring down at his plate. 

"I'll think about it, mum." he said. His mother nodded, giving him a smile.