twenty eight

Luke had been off the whole school day, not even bothering to talk in lunch or anything. He still sat with Rosa though and held onto her hand which made it better though, but Rosa was still worried. After that night he came to her house drunk, she couldn't stop worrying.

When school was done, the two of them walked out of school hand in hand, but they were both quiet. Rosa wanted so badly to ask him what was wrong, but didn't know if that would upset Luke. Luke was squeezing Rosa's hand and she noticed the deep frown on his face. Something wasn't right.

After some minutes, she decided to ask. 

"What's wrong?" she asked. 

Luke turned to her, locking eyes with her. His blue eyes was a bit more dull and tired. 

"Uhm.. Nothing." he stuttered, making Rosa sigh.

He had promised to tell her his problems. He promised and Rosa hated broken promises. 

"Dad is leaving tomorrow." she blurted out after another minute of silence. It wasn't awkward, but the silence was making Rosa go crazy. 

"Oh?" Luke spoke up, furrowing his eyebrows. 

Rosa just shrugged, because it wasn't a suprise that he would leave again. His job was more important than is own children. Rosa was just nervous about Max, he would always get so sad when their dad left.

 "I'm worried about Max. He's going to be sad." she sighed. 

Maybe, just maybe if Rosa told Luke her problems he would tell her his? It was worth a shot and she wanted to let Luke know about what was going on in her life. 

"That sucks, but we'll make him happy, okay. We'll hang out with him and watch movies and just make him stop being sad." Luke explained, pulling Rosa into him. 

She looked up at him and smiled, happy that he was talking again now. Luke was a good listener, but he always put other peoples' happiness before his which bothered Rosa.

"Want to go to the park?" Rosa asked, hoping he would eventually start talking about what bothered him too. 

She knew he tried to hold it inside of him because he didn't want to be a bother, but it was wrong of him to do so. 

"Sure." Luke sighed.

It was getting colder outside so it was nice when Luke bought hot chocolate to the two of them while they sat on a bench, looking out on the playground. Rosa smiled, leaning her head on his shoulder as he wrapped one of his arms around her. Kids were playing around them. 

"Do you ever want a child?" Rosa blurted out. 

Luke's eyes widened and Rosa started blushing, but Luke smiled and shrugged. 

"I guess so, when I'm ready to be a father I would like to have a child." he answered, his lips brushing her forehead. 

When they sat like this, it was hard to think that they weren't a couple yet. Rosa wanted him to ask, but wanted to take it slow too. She cared for Luke, no she loved him. Even though she had never admitted it out loud, she did and it scared her, but made her happy too. She was just hoping Luke loved her too.

"It's my mum." Luke sighed. 

Rosa furrowed her eyebrows, tilting her head up so she could stare at Luke. He ran a hand through his hair and gave her a sad smile. 

"I tried telling her that it was getting too much. That I wanted and needed my mum sober. I told her she should go to rehab and get better, but she ended up getting mad. She told me she didn't have a problem and started throwing plates. I even got this." Luke mumbled, taking up his sleeve to show a quite big wound.