Come Home (Morpheus x Reader)

"And (Y/N)?" Morpheus asked Lucienne once she had finished getting him up to date with everything that had happened in his absence. "Where is she?"

He had hoped his lover would be the first to greet him when returning to the Dreaming, but he hadn't seen them yet.

But his worry grew as Lucienne's hesitation was clear on her face. "(Y/N)... she left a few years after your disappearance, thinking you had abandoned the Dreaming. And her." She admitted

Not expecting that, Morpheus's jaw clenched. Slight anger coursing through him. "What?" (Y/N) left? "Where did she go?"

He went after her as soon as Lucienne gave him the location, eager to get an explanation out of his partner. Eager to know if they still loved him.

***

He stood across the street from the house (Y/N) was now living in. It was a colourful, charming little building, exactly the kind of place (Y/N) would have chosen.

Morpheus debated whether he should knock on the door, After a few minutes of thinking, a taxi drove up to the house and interrupted his thoughts. His breath caught in his throat as (Y/N) stepped out, looking just like he remembered her.

It took a moment for her to notice him. But (Y/N) froze up like a deer in headlights when she did.

When she started moving again, she dashed across the street.

"Morpheus?" She breathed, looking at him like she couldn't believe he was standing in front of her. "Am I dreaming?"

He shook his head. "You're not dreaming. I've returned." The King of Dreams told her, searching her face for her reaction.

But what he didn't expect was for her to sob, throwing her arms around him and pulling him into a tight hug. "I thought... I..." She let out a broken laugh. "I missed you so much."

Morpheus couldn't help but feel pure relief at her words. Relief that she had missed him as much as he missed her. He returned the hug, leaning into her embrace.

It felt like an eternity since he had felt her touch, so much so that when she eventually let go, he still held her close to him. The worry in the back of his head told him that if he let her go, they would be taken from each other again.

***

"So you were locked away in this... sorcerer's basement." (Y/N) said the word sorcerer like she had wanted to call him a much less unpleasant name. They had moved their reunion to her house, sitting on her couch as she held a mug clasped him her hands. She was curled up on one side as he sat on the other, his hand rested on her leg. The feeling of the warmth of her skin against his hand soothed him as he explained where he had been during the last century.

"Yes, it was not my intention to leave you."

She nodded quickly, a regretful expression on her face. "I should have known you wouldn't have abandoned your realm, I'm sorry."

He gave her a gentle smile, forgiving her. "I wouldn't have abandoned you, dearest. I just wished you had waited for my return."

"I did." She protested quietly. "But... I couldn't stay in the Dreaming as it decayed, missing you as much as I did. But I still waited, hoping you would come back to me. Even if I did it here."

(Y/N) lip curled in annoyance as she continued. "But if I had known about this sorcerer and his crime, I..."

"You would have destroyed him where he stood." He finished her sentence, smirking. "I'm aware." He was sometimes grateful that (Y/N) was on his side, as her sweet exterior hid a powerful and loyal soul.

She stared at him softly, committing his face to her memory. "You have no idea how much I've missed you, Morpheus."

The Sandman highly doubted that, knowing it was probably just as much as she had missed him. He let out a breath, sliding closer to his love. "Does this mean you will return with me? The Dreaming is still in disrepair and my tools have been stolen. But being with you again is just as important to me."

(Y/N) followed his lead in moving closer, taking his hand in hers. She kissed it gently. "Of course." She told him, voice filled with a happiness she had not felt in decades. "Of course I'll come home with you."

"You know I'd follow you anywhere, Morpheus."