Safe At Last (Morpheus x Reader)

While Morpheus wouldn't have admitted that to anyone, he had felt trapped even before he had been locked up by Roderick Burgess. He was trapped by fate. Trapped by the universe playing cruel tricks on him.

Throughout his time on this earth, there had been a women. There had been many, actually, but this one always reappeared. Always pulled in his attention and broke his heart.

He had met her centuries ago, falling fast and hard before she died long before she should have. And then he had met her half a century later, reincarnated as one of her ancestors. Completely the same except for her memories.

He had thought he had a chance. Thought they could have been together that time. But she died again.

And he met her again, and she died again.

And again.

And again.

And then he was imprisoned. Although he loathed every moment of it, he was at least safe from getting hurt from this woman. The woman who seemed to unknowingly been created just to torture him.

When he got out, he was too busy to think of her. Morpheus had his tools to find, and then he had his new path to figure out.

But as he walked away from his meeting with Hob, he realized that she was on the street across from him.

The reoccurring ache in his chest returned, memories of their times together clouding his mind. He had hoped his time away had been long enough to be freed from her but...

In his shock, (Y/N) stepped onto the crosswalk. She hadn't noticed him, probably wouldn't recognize him if she did. But he recognized her, recognized that she was in danger.

A car sped across the street, obviously too fast to stop. And he knew that her fate would be continued.

Unless...

***

(Y/N) froze like a deer in headlights at the sound of the car horn in front of her. Terror seized her, knowing she could die.

But a hand gripped her arm, pulling her away and against the hand's owner. He was a tall man, dark and stunning. Staring at her with concern and relief.

He looked so familiar.

"Do I know you?" She asked, unable to take her eyes off him. "You look..."

"No, you don't. Not like this." She couldn't understand his words, but somehow they made sense. There was something tickling her brain, something trying to make itself known

"I... what?"

"Are you alright?"

She nodded in reply, brushing off her clothes. "Yeah, thank you. I should really watch where I'm going."

"It wasn't your fault." Morpheus reassured her. "It was whoever was driving that car."

"Thanks." She smiled. "How'd you even get there that fast anyhow?"

He looked at her, suddenly having an idea. "I can show you, if you'd like?" He held out his hand to her.

She wasn't safe on Earth, he knew that. But if he could convince her to come back with his to the Dreaming. He could protect her there.

"What would that include?" She was cautious, he appreciated that.

"I want to show you somewhere safe." (Y/N) wanted to ask more, wanted to question the man. But when looking at his offered hand, she felt a peculiar feeling of trust for this man. Of familiarity.

She took his hand, sand swirling around them.

***

Desire wasn't in an entirely good mood. Their centuries long trick with the girl had just been ruined, knowing they couldn't do anything when she was in Morpheus's realm.

"What about when she leaves?" Despair had asked, sensing her twin's irritation.

"No." Desire shook their head. "It never took long for her to love him, not with how much he loves her. The only way to get her to leave him would be to kill her. And that's not possible anymore."

They knew that (Y/N) was defended now, the days of playing with her life and Morpheus's feelings were over. She was his now, completely.

Well at least I still have Rose Walker, was the thought that reassured Desire.

Their troublemaking wasn't over quite yet.