Thrones & Crowns Part 2 (Morpheus x Spouse!Reader)

He had heard their footsteps before their voice. But either was alright, good enough that he knew that they were there.

"Morpheus? Sweetheart? What's all this?" His spouse asked.

They stepped into the room, their attention on the wide table.

It had been cleared of books to leave room for a rather large collection of crowns, circlets, and tiaras proudly displayed.

He offered out his hand to them, pulling them closer when they took it. "Well, I did offer you a crown." Morpheus reminded, gesturing at the jewelry.

He felt a little pride at the obvious entrancement on (Y/N) face as they stepped forward for a closer look. And relief. While Lucienne had told him not to worry, he had briefly thought that this display might have been a little too much pressure on his spouse.

But (Y/N) ghosted their hand over one of the jewelry pieces. Not close enough to touch, being far more careful than they needed to. "These..."

"I thought about surprising you, picking one myself. But I decided it would be preferable for you to choose one yourself."

Their face was brightened with excited for a moment, before worry clouded their face. "You know you didn't have to do this, right?" They asked, making sure. "I married you because I love you. Not because of some throne or crown."

He smiled at their cautiousness. At their worry that he didn't know how much they loved him.

"I am aware. But everything you've done since you came here, the help you've given..." Morpheus knew exactly that they married him out of love. He couldn't believe it sometimes, thinking that he most likely didn't deserve it. But he did know it. "You were the best thing that could have happened to me and the Dreaming. I could never repay you for it, so the least I could do is give you a symbol of the respect you deserve."

His honest words felt were fairly uncomfortable to say, not loving the vulnerability he felt around (Y/N). But their grin made it all worth it, with all the gratitude in their smile.

They pulled him into a tight hug, voice muffled against his shoulder. "If I hear anyone say that you're emotionless again, I'll fight them. You're the sweetest."

He just chuckled, tightening the hug. "Only for those who deserve it. Those like you."

They chuckled when he let them go, warmth in their cheeks at Morpheus's loving words. "You know, if my ego gets any bigger, I'll turn into Lucifer."

Morpheus was about to respond to their joke when he noticed how their attention was grabbed by one specific piece. "Do you like that one?" He asked, and they nodded distractedly.

He would admit, it was a nice crown. Not the kind of thing that would pull his interest, but most definitely his partner's. "It belonged to a French Royal killed in the revolution. Desire took it from the palace, but quickly got bored of it. Moving on to newer, shinier toys."

"How could they? It's beautiful."

He gestured dismissively, knowing that Desire was just the type of person to do that. "Well, now it's yours." While their attention was on their new gift, his attention was on them. "I love you." He spoke gently, getting their attention once again

"I love you too." Their smile was stunning to Morpheus, more beautiful than anything he could create. "Even more than I love this." They pointed at the crown.

He raised an eyebrow, smirking. "Really?" The King of the Dreaming played along with his lover's enjoyment of gentle teasing

"I mean... at least a little." Their grin was wide, with a slight wink. Expecting him to response with a joking comment of his own.

But Morpheus just reached up to brush his fingers through (Y/N)'s hair. "Good, I'm glad." His response was gentle, soft. "And I'm glad that you liked your gift."

(Y/N) thought about making another joke. But honestly they just wanted to tell him that he was worth so much more to them than any gift. That they were so grateful that he loved them and they loved him back. But words wouldn't be able convey the emotions they wanted to communicate.

So instead they kissed him. Hoping it would let him know better than speech.