Hold Them Right (Morpheus x Reader)

Through the beginning of (Y/N) and Morpheus's relationship, they could confidently say that he was easily the best partner they had ever had. He was loving and protective, something that they weren't used to.

There was only one thing that they wished he would do differently. Years of neglect had left them with touch starvation, and Morpheus wasn't the most physically affectionate partner.

It wasn't that he avoided touch. He'd have a hand on the small of (Y/N)'s back when leading them somewhere, he'd cup their face gently when kissing them. But other than that, he kept his hands to himself. In fact, he had a habit of standing close enough to (Y/N) that they could feel his breath on their hair, but not close enough for any touch.

They wanted to mention it to him, to ask him to hold them. But after years of bad experiences with previous partners and neglectful parents, they were very cautious about bringing up personal problems

It took a discussion about past relationships for any change to happen.

Morpheus had his share of failed past relationships, many his fault. (Y/N) had several failed relationship, not really their fault. They gave their lover short explanations of abusive or neglectful partners. Their tone was flippant, having been used to it. But the more they told him, the more concerned Morpheus became.

"If you were to ask, I would make sure he never woke up." Morpheus offered as (Y/N) told him about one of the worst ones.

But they just shook their head. "I just want to put all that behind me. It doesn't matter anymore." Before when they had repeated those words said by their therapist, they felt empty. But it was the truth now.

Now that they had a partner like Morpheus.

He didn't quite understand why they didn't want him to get revenge on the man, but relented. He had known their life before him hadn't been great, but this was the first time that they had told him specifics.

Throughout his relationship, he had promised himself that he wouldn't do anything without their permission. So if they asked him not to hurt the man, he would listen.

Still, while they hadn't told him he could embrace them, he reached out to take their hand and pulled them close to him. Morpheus held them tightly, momentarily surprising his partner.

(Y/N) took a few seconds to realize what was happening, but relaxed against him as soon as they did.

But he soon stepped away. "Sorry." He apologized, hands back to his sides.

"No. It's fine." (Y/N) got closer, tugging on his coat. "It's nice. You don't usually do that."

"I didn't want to make you uncomfortable." Morpheus admitted, returning his arms to their place around them.

"You couldn't make me uncomfortable, not like this. I like this."

Their immortal lover nodded, gently kissing the top of (Y/N)'s head. He had avoided invading their space, but was now regretting not just asking them about it.

The feeling of them in his arms, the feeling of their heartbeat against him... he couldn't believe he had avoided this as long as he did. He didn't want to live without the feeling. He didn't know if he could.

As for (Y/N), they were practically in heaven. Morpheus was everything they wanted, and as he held them close there was a feeling of relief in their chest. He wasn't like the past relationships, (Y/N) could be happy with him.

He could hold them right. Like they needed.