Friends Protect Friends (The Corinthian x Reader)

The bar the Corinthian had chosen was a lot calmer than he expected it to be. Calm to the point where he had considered stirring up trouble for his own entertainment. It wouldn't be hard, just taunt someone into violence or leaving a body in the alleyway.

But luckily for the bar patrons, his friend arrived soon after getting that idea. Everyone were spared any disasters as (Y/N) gave him a quick hug and sat down.

It didn't take long for them to settle down, making easy conversation. His attention was on them completely, listening intently to their stories.

"... Yeah, and don't even get me started on my boss. I'm pretty sure that man is secretly the devil." (Y/N) rolled their eyes, absolutely exhausted from their day at work. It almost made the Corinthian guilty that he had convinced them to come out drinking with him.

"Well, I certainly know a thing or two about bad bosses." He chuckled, thinking back to his time in the Dreaming. "Want me to help get him off your back?"

They shook their head. "Nah, that would just cause problems."

"Well, you let me know if you change your mind." He was a little disappointed he couldn't help with their boss, knowing that he could make him disappear overnight. But he wouldn't want to make things harder for (Y/N).

"Sure." Their chuckle let him know that they thought he was just joking. Which made sense, as he hadn't told them much about himself. They didn't know about his history or what he was. The Corinthian didn't want to scare them off.

He left the table for a moment to get refills for their drinks. But when he turned back, however, there was someone standing in front of their table. (Y/N) was clearly uncomfortable with whatever the unknown man was saying and a jolt of irritation shot through the Corinthian's body's.

"This isn't your table, friend." He said friend like it was an insult, hand on the man's shoulder. "And you seem to be bothering them."

"Jesus man, just making conversation." The man was obviously a little drunk, sizing up the Corinthian like he wanted to fight. But thankfully (at least for the people in the bar that didn't want trouble), the man scoffed and left. Clearly deciding that the Corinthian wasn't worth the effort.

His attention returned to (Y/N), who had been shifting awkwardly in their seat.

"You good?" His voice was much softer when he turned to them. But they just shook themself off and gave him a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks."

He didn't believe them, but he relented. Sitting down next to them, he tried to continue their evening out. Mostly succeeding when (Y/N)'s smile returned. But the rude man's face was stuck in his memory.

***

(Y/N) called him in a panic a few days later, making him worry until he realized what am they were talking about. "... That guy at the bar? Apparently they found him in the alley behind the bar yesterday. His eyes were fucking missing!"

"Ah well, maybe he pissed the wrong person off. Seemed like the type." There was a grin on his face as he spoke, clearly pleased with the topic of the phone call.

"This isn't a joke." They scolded. "It's creepy. There's a killer in town."

He sighed gently. He didn't think of how they'd react upon hearing about the killing. "Do you want me to stay with you for a bit? Make sure you're safe?"

They said yes, voice quiet over the phone. He just chuckled, telling them he'd be over as soon as he cleaned up the mess at his place.

That man had bled a lot.