Mine Or Hers? (Morpheus x Reader)

There is a great deal of self-deprecation that comes with jealous. After all, the fear is that the person you think your lover will leave you for is better than you. After all, in your mind they will only stop loving you if you're inferior in some way.

But in (Y/N)'s case, that wasn't the only source of the self-disgust. The other came from the fact that the person they were jealous of didn't deserve their negative feelings.

The Dream's spouse had known about Morpheus's past with Calliope. Known that she was his former wife, his lover before (Y/N). The mother of his lost child. But they hadn't cared, thinking that the muse wasn't in his life anymore.

Apparently the two of them had agreed never to speak again.

Then he rescued her from some corrupt writer who had imprisoned her for his own gain. It sounded horrible, and (Y/N) felt terrible for her.

However, when Morpheus told them that he and Calliope had resolved many of their problems, (Y/N) couldn't stop a sinking feeling in their stomach. Would feelings regrow between their husband and his former wife now that they were on speaking terms once again?

Those worries were compounded with self disgust at those thought. Calliope didn't deserve to be thought of like that. From what (Y/N) had heard, she was a kind woman just trying to survive.

***

"You're overthinking this." Lucienne told them one time in the library. "Morpheus adores you."

(Y/N) lay their head down on the library table. "I know, I know." They sighed. "The poor woman escapes from abuse and the first thing I do about it is get jealous. And here I was thinking I'm better than that."

The librarian just chuckled, pulling a small book of the shelf and laying it down in front of (Y/N). "This might help. If you truly want to stop worrying about Lord Morpheus's commitment to your marriage."

"What's this?" They asked, pulling it open.

"A poet known as Shakespeare once asked Morpheus about love. Instead, he told them about you." Lucienne tapped the little book. "This is what the poet transcribed. With some embellishments, of course."

(Y/N) couldn't help but smile as they read over the book. They could tell exactly what was said by Morpheus and what was exaggerated by the poet. But once they read it, there was no doubt in their mind that any jealousy had been useless.

"Thank you, Lucienne. This helped." The gratitude that they felt for the librarian was unending. She was so pertinent to the Dreaming and (Y/N) did their best to show her that every day.

"I'm glad." Lucienne smiled at them, but suddenly looked up. "My Lord Morpheus, welcome."

She spoke to (Y/N)'s husband, who just entered the room.

(Y/N) froze up slightly as they saw him. "Thank you, Lucienne. I wish to speak with my spouse, if I could have the room for the moment?" He asked, looking down as (Y/N) with a soft smile.

She nodded, leaving the room and taking Merv with her. Morpheus sat down next to (Y/N), resting his hand over their's.

"I heard what you said to Lucienne." He told them. He didn't sound judgemental, which made (Y/N) feel a little better.

"I'm sorry, I..."

He shushed her. "Don't apologize. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that you had to be worried about our marriage."

"You didn't." (Y/N) hated that he thought that. "Of course you didn't. I was just... she just seems so perfect. And I know you still love her, you don't need to deny it."

Morpheus sighed. "I do care about Calliope, I admit. But there is nobody I would chose to be with other than you. To me, you're what's perfect."

Gripping his hand, (Y/N) brought it to their lips and pressed a gentle kiss to it. "I love you." They told him, the relief making them feel lighter than ever.

No doubt in their mind any longer.