✸ Chapter Thirty-Six: Smells Like Teen Spirit

soundtrack to listen to: matt mason's new album + lizzie (sanctified, my hand/lawless dream & waltz right in makes me cry)

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

𝙉𝙊𝙏 𝘼𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 𝙈𝙊𝙑𝙄𝙀.

───○ ○───

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗: Smells Like Teen Spirit

𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐓𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐂𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 & 𝐓𝐄𝐂𝐇𝐍𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐘

𝟏𝟔 𝐒𝐄𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟔

───○ ○───

───○☆ ✸ ☆○───

            The drive home from D.C. to Midtown was not as bad as the ride there, even if Lizzie chose to sit on the rusty, yellow bus from hell so that she wouldn't be breathing the same air as C.T. for five hours. Taylor proved once again that she was her best friend by sacrificing as well to ride home with the Decathlon Team instead of the softball's travel bus. Given what they had experienced, neither Harrington nor Coach denied the request when Taylor asked to stay with Lizzie. They holed up in the back, using their bulky bags as pillows and making a seamless fort out of the four blankets Taylor brought. Never once did she bring up what happened, but a heavier eye was on Lizzie the entire trip home whether Taylor tried to hide it or not. They spent the rest of the right watching Netflix on Taylor's phone, intermittently switching between that and blasting Nirvana in Lizzie's headphones.

After they pulled up at Midtown to see the barrage of concerned parents, Lizzie said her goodbyes to her friends on the bus before they were all separated. After struggling to release Taylor from their parting hug, she moved to give Michelle one next. Toward the middle of the bus was the boys, and she squeezed Abe's arm as she passed him. Even Eugene nodded at her, too exhausted to front his alter-ego right now. When she got to Peter and Ned, she had to decide in those five seconds if she would say something. Her hand patted against the seat in front of them to get their attention, making both flinch at the sound.

"Hey," she said quietly to the boys, noticing them glance warily her way. Lizzie gave them a small smile instead. "Get home safe."

Peter searched for anything more in her gesture before finding nothing unkind, and his features softened on her. "Thanks, Lizzie. You too...I'm sorry."