☆ Chapter Forty-One: All Better?

Another chapter of me trying to write softball.

Many thanks to Lewis Capaldi for inspiring me again to write. Please go listen to Broken By Desire album! Very Lizzie. (Wish You The Best. Ok.)

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

𝙉𝙊𝙏 𝘼𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 𝙈𝙊𝙑𝙄𝙀.

───○ ○───

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐎𝐍𝐄: All Better?

𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐍𝐘𝐂, 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐎𝐑𝐊

𝟑 𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟖

───○ ○───

───○☆ ✸ ☆○───

"SI...S...SISSY!"

Lizzie couldn't teleport, but she thought she might've done the impossible that Tuesday afternoon. Even in socks, she found enough traction to locate the sound of Samuel Carter's growing wails before she could assume the worst. Three-year-old (soon to be four!) Baby Sammy was in the living room while she made them lunch, on babysitting duty. Their golden retriever, Lady, was already shoving her nose into the boy's limbs to make sure nothing was broken by the time Lizzie got there.

The heaves were already in-full swing, snot running down Sammy's nose as he clutched his hand to his chest. Swooping down, Lizzie grabbed her brother and curled him to her chest. "Hey...hey, I'm here. What happened? It's okay. I'm here. Did you hurt your hand? Can I see?"

Sammy ducked into her neck with a nod and she used her other hand to free his little, chubby fingers from their tight ball. Lady circled at her feet and nudged her leg every once in a while to remind her she was still there. When she noticed that the skin on his palm was pinched, a thin white line showing where it got caught, Lizzie turned in confusion down to the living room floor.

The culprit: Captain America's shield. A toy bought for Sammy on his last birthday that expanded when you pressed the button on the back.

Oh.

"Sammy...look at me," Lizzie whispered, hoisting him up and dipping her chin so that she could see his face. Brown eyes looked back at their twin, swollen and doe-eyed with upset. Lizzie moved their hands between them and pressed a kiss to his injured palm. "Look. All better."