☆ Chapter Forty: Fire and Water

writing & running on this one.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

𝙉𝙊𝙏 𝘼𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 𝙈𝙊𝙑𝙄𝙀.

───○ ○───

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘: Fire and Water

𝐌𝐈𝐃𝐓𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐒𝐂𝐈𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄 & 𝐓𝐄𝐂𝐇𝐍𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐘

𝟏𝟎 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟖

───○ ○───

───○☆ ✸ ☆○───

"Hey, you."

Lizzie's head shot up from tying her shoelaces. As she stood to full height, the friends took each other in that morning. Arthur Langley cut his hair short again (despite everyone's protest), batting away the girls' hands and saying his Ma wanted to see his eyes. Taylor was more upset with the decision, but that was only because Lizzie noticed the way Arthur refused to meet their eyes. Lizzie didn't ask him why he lied that day. Instead, she threw her hand over Taylor's mouth the rest of lunch (she was done eating anyway). With school and wrestling, Art rarely came around the New Avengers Facility anymore, meaning it had been quite some time since the two friends talked outside of school.

Art expected a side remark out of her that morning, but she had a different course of action. Lizzie closed the distance between them and tucked her head into his shoulder. Without hesitation, he returned the hug and gripped her sweatshirt like a lifeline. Lizzie never pried; she knew when to ask questions, and she knew when to leave it alone.

"Thanks for coming," he muttered against the top of her head. Lizzie squeezed him tighter, reminding Art once again that his best friend was not just a student athlete. With his arms now wrapped loosely around her shoulders, he grinned at her. "Sleepy MJ is my favorite MJ."

"I'm always sleepy."

"I thought you were sleeping better," he challenged. Lizzie hummed, and she tried to brush off the concern by remaining quiet. "Did you tell your therapist?"

Lizzie sighed and pulled away from Art. He watched her begin pulling her sweatshirt off as she spoke, keenly aware of how she was hiding her face from him. "Gracie's on maternity leave—"

"I know, I meant the temporary one. What's her name again?"

"Ingrid. We had a staring contest last week. I won."