✸ Chapter Eighteen: Peter Parker's Got a Problem

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

𝙉𝙊𝙏 𝘼𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 𝙈𝙊𝙑𝙄𝙀.

───○ ○───

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍: Peter Parker's Got a Problem

𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐋𝐘𝐍, 𝐍𝐘𝐂 𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓

𝟎𝟑 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟔

───○ ○───

───○☆ ✸ ☆○───

          "Steve's here."

A fifteen-year-old half-asleep Lizzie Carter paused, the foam from her toothpaste collecting on the edges of her mouth as she turned to look at her mom in confusion. Being that it was only a few minutes before she had to leave for school, Lizzie looked like she usually did in the mornings—her slept-in bun looked more like a rats nest, the oversized t-shirt swarmed her pajama shorts, and she was squinting to block out the light. Sophia Carter had Sammy on her hip, the boy gnawing on a toy that she was pretty sure belonged to their dog (but oh well). Her mom's blonde hair was pulled up into a greasy ponytail and her eyes were worn out, but Lizzie always thought she looked pretty. And scary.

"Why?" she muffled out, moving her toothbrush to one side of her mouth. She saw Sammy start to squirm when he saw her, and she quickly spit and rinsed her mouth, barely throwing the toothbrush under the water. "And you left him alone with Dad?"

Sophia sighed, handing Sammy over to Lizzie. "I know. Probably not the best idea."

"Hi bubba," she cooed down at her baby brother, officially two-and-a-half years old and picking up all of her bad habits. He wrapped himself around her like a koala, and she stabilized him. "So he didn't say anything? Usually he doesn't pick me up on Tuesdays."

"Just went to talk to his boyfriend."

"Makes sense."

Sophia and Lizzie stepped out of the the bathroom in the Carter's Brooklyn apartment, Sammy tugging on some of the loose hair that had escaped from Lizzie's bun. She wasn't having the greatest week so far. Acne was starting to reek havoc in her life, she had twenty billion exams, and she felt like she was on her period every other day of the week (like that particular week, FYI) so she wasn't really excited for school. The only thing getting her through the day was the fact that she had a game later on—that was it. Even though she'd nearly blown out her shoulder yesterday at practice, she couldn't wait to be on the field.