✸ Chapter Twenty: The Carter Clause

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

𝙉𝙊𝙏 𝘼𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉 𝙈𝙊𝙑𝙄𝙀.

───○ ○───

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘: The Carter Clause

𝐔𝐏𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐍𝐘 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐒 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐈𝐋𝐈𝐓𝐘

𝟏𝟓 𝐌𝐀𝐘 𝟐𝟎𝟏𝟔

───○ ○───

───○☆ ✸ ☆○───

The persistent exaggerated sighs of another human in the corner of the room would have annoyed Tony Stark two hours ago. He hated when people lingered while he worked. However, there was one sole exception to that clause: Lizzie Carter—or, as he liked to call it, the Carter Clause seeing as he also enjoyed when Sammy Carter came to visit and tried to shove everything he could get his sticky hands on into his mouth. A literary vomit of homework was sprawled out in front of her on the floor, her legs making a V as she tried to navigate the millions of things in front of her all while babysitting a pot of dirt with a small sprout coming out of it. Tony couldn't help but look up from his hologram every few minutes to see her glaring at the thing like she was waiting for it to miraculously turn into a palm tree.

"Aren't you supposed to be doing something more life-changing to save our planet than watching a beanstalk grow in dirt? I'm pretty sure I put funding into your school's program for something more than that. The 'Greatest Young Minds' were supposed to come out of your school. Not Jack Spriggins."

"You'd think so, but apparently the life cycle of a flower is just as important as the growing issues of climate change in our society," she said as she threw her notebook to the side, and then gave him a look. "School teaches me nothing important. My generation could overthrow the government using Twitter quicker than they could understand what the Dewey Decimal Classification was...and it's a petunia. Not a beanstalk. Peter named her Padme."

Tony's brows raised. "Peter?"

"Parker. He's scared of me."

"What'd you do to him?"

"Opened my mouth."

"Makes sense," Tony nodded. "Peter Parker is your plant partner?"