21. Faded memories

Chapter twenty-one

WARNING: this chapter contains mention of sexual assault

Cassia. Cassia.

Her voice was stuck inside my head like she cast a locking spell. All the doors and windows were closed– the little gaps between them and holes in the flooring were covered. There was no chance for them to leave my mind. Not her voice, nor her words. Not the shape of her body and the way she made me feel.

Nevertheless, my assumptions were true. The minute my eyes opened I was alone in the bed. Only the scent of her perfume was left on my pillow. I should also mention the hickeys she left all over my neck and collarbones– the big and dark marks that could only be covered by a spell. My foundation and concealer were good for nothing in that case.

I couldn't do anything productive except for lying in my bed and thinking about her. That's how I wasted my free time before our punishment came. Most of it involved cleaning and organising– things that normally the house elves would do. I bet they had less work that day.

I found myself in Lucius' study at some point. Each room had a list prepared with things we were supposed to do. Since Draco was busy with another room, I decided to get started with the study. I took the piece of parchment and fulfilled each task. Some of them were easy, such as wiping away the dust or swiping the floor, while others required some time and effort.

"Organise books in the alphabetic order," I read from the parchment, sighing heavily.

I took each book off the shelf and placed it aside, wiping off the dust from the shelf before organising them. It took me a long time, and after twenty minutes, I was only halfway through.

"I figured you would be here," I heard Draco's voice and noticed him entering the study. "Nice job, Cass," he looked around and admired the tidiness.

"Since you're here, you can finish up those books. All the letters are mixing.." I put the book that I was holding aside and leaned against the wall.

"How is your hangover?" he teased while heading to the bookshelf.

"I don't have one. Just feeling sore and tired." I closed my eyes.

"Looking at how much you drank last night, I assumed you would be dying right now."

"I think I should rather ask how are you feeling after yesterday's events. You know, dancing with Potter and such," I looked at him and cocked an eyebrow, "Things were getting hot between you two."

"And what if I told you we're going out soon?" he put the last book on the shelf.

"No way!" I exclaimed and jumped onto him, "You have to tell me all the details!"

"I assumed we wouldn't be able to go out for a while so I told him to wait for a letter once we can leave the house."

"I'm so happy for you, Draco." I cupped his face. "Although.. your parents haven't said anything about us not leaving the house," I pointed out.

"Then we're going to meet sooner than we thought," a large grin decorated his face that he just couldn't contain.

"But, before you do, we still have to finish the cleaning."

"Yeah, let's just get done with it–" he grabbed the list from the desk while knocking a pile of papers as well.

"Draco—"

"Fuck, fuck.. sorry– didn't mean to."

We both knelt and collected the papers, knowing it must've been some of Lucius' important documents. I made sure we collected every single paper while Draco just sat there staring at something that turned out to be an old photograph.