charred flesh - XI

Bastet

My mouth tastes fuzzy as my mind is. My eyes stick together still from sleep. Quarry is next to me, completely passed out. Still breathing.

I collapse back down on the ground.

What was I dreaming about? It seems so far away now. There was....

I squeeze my eyes as it comes back. My hands on skin. The blood and screaming. The cold touch of the air. I pushed my stars into Roux's body.

Is that why my hands are still shaking? Why my brain is all fuzzy and I can't think? Why can't I breathe in the morning air?

"Bastet?"

"AGH!" I scream, jumping to the side. Quarry stares up at me, squinting. "QUARRY!" I hiss. Quarry blinks at me.

"I said your name," He says, voice still scratchy and deep from sleep. I sigh, letting myself fall back down to the forest floor.

"I know, I'm sorry," I murmur. Quarry rubs his eyes. His hair is all knotted up on the side. I have no idea how he'll be able to get it out. We have nothing to brush his hair with.

"Headache, it's okay," He groans, pushing his sentences together. I blink, chuckling. Quarry shoots a spiky glance at me. "What?"

"Nothing," I tell him. Quarry rolls his eyes, smiling. I press my lips together, brushing my hands on my pants before I rise. I wobble as Quarry grabs my arms to help himself up.

"I want food," He grumbles at me. I twist up my lips.

"You want Kyson dumpster food?" I joke. Quarry brightens. I sigh, grabbing his arm as I drag him through the branches and leaves.

"You know me so well," Quarry says, sighing as I shove him through the treeline. He stops then, eyes wide as he gawks forward. I stand next to him.

Through the tall, dry grasses, buildings tower above. They brush the sky, mixing their colors in with the clouds. The meadow leads to a park. From here I can see the tiny Kyson trees. Their leaves just barely brush the sky.

I take a step into the grass. They crumble beneath my feet. I step to keep the muddy ground from consuming my boots.

Quarry leans forward, like Kyson is calling him. His feet don't move from their spot.

"Welcome to Kyson," I say, holding out my hand to him. Quarry looks down, mouth opened slightly. He hesitates before he grabs it, pulling himself forward with so much force I stumble back to catch myself.

Quarry pushes past me in a blur of colors, arming the grass out of the way so it doesn't scratch his face.

The grasses have grown taller since the last time I was here.

"Come on Bastet!" Quarry calls, spinning around. He continues to walk, eyes focused on me. "Ah!"

I rush forward to help Quarry off the ground. He grumbles, hands reaching towards his eyes and nose to swipe away the muck.

"This isn't Maylea," I tell him. Quarry huffs, frowning. He stands up, swiping away the mud from his now stained pants and shirt.

"They still got dumpsters for me to rob," He says brightly. I squint at him.

"I don't know whether I should love you or be embarrassed by you," I tell him. Quarry grins at me.

I step ahead of Quarry, pushing away the grasses for him. We weave through the field, huffing heavy breaths as we trek up the hill before the crest. I sigh, opening my eyes.