a place to sleep - XXIV

Bastet

Milo leads me weaving through the cottages, crouched down low like we're children playing a game. He keeps on glancing back, his eyes still stained red from the hurt. He smiles like it isn't there.

Every time my eyes meet his I get a twinge in my chest. He's trying so hard to keep me afloat. He noticed my lack of looks and hesitation even though I attempted to conceal it.

Thank you, Milo.

He waves the end of his wings as he nears a darkened cottage, outlined by the Forget-Me-Not sunrise. I creep up next to him. Milo runs his hand along the rigid structure. He turns to me, the red in his eyes turned fierce.

'Cassius lives here,' Milo says. I furrow my eyebrows.

'He's a cat?' I sign back. Milo makes a face at me, his eyes stern.

'Don't be so rude.' I blink as Milo takes my hand and leads me around to the door. It's large, bigger than I'd expect for a house a cat lives in. Milo straightens. I follow. He hesitates before knocking gently on the door, his fist loose.

We stand there. Milo rocks on his heels, flicking his wings in a short motion backwards.

"What are you doing here?" A voice cuts. My eyes turn to the opened window. On the sill sits Cassius, fur rumpled and eyes bleary from sleep. In some remarkable way, his fury is still intimidating through his disheveled appearance.

'We—'

"Not you," Cassius says, scarily calm. "You." He keeps his dark green eyes burned onto my skin. He's branding me?

'We were invited to the coronation but we need an escort,' Milo cuts in before I have a moment to hesitate. Cassius turns his eyes to Milo now. Milo looks back, face stoic.

"And it was just you two?" Cassius pressed. Milo nods.

'Quarry and Avery are in Maylea currently. Bastet came to get me.' He's soft and gentle and checks on you when you're not okay and yet, he can lie without blinking. He lies with such ease. It's...

"Are all the Gold-Eyes invited?" Cassius asks us both. Milo shrugs. I watch him as he responds. His eyes flick up, then down at Cassius.

'Probably. It's a coronation, after all.' Cassius hums. He stands then, flicking his tail.

"And you two got an invite?" He questions. Milo nods again.

"Ah um, actually only Maylean citizens are invited but Avery is taking me and Quarry is taking Milo," I pipe up, my voice hoarse. Milo nods again, solidifying my statement. Cassius flicks his tail again before he turns, his body facing away from us.

"Alright, I'll escort you," Cassius says. Milo turns to me, his eyes alight. He grins, his nose scrunching up. "But we leave tomorrow morning."

"Thank you, Cassius," I say. Cassius smiles at me, his whiskers twitching. He waves his tail as he jumps out the window, into his cottage. I turn to Milo, my hands grasping the air.

"MiloMiloMilo," I breathe. He takes my hands, squeezing them. He nods quickly, letting go.

"How'd that work?" Milo whispers. I grin, my teeth pressed together. Milo grins bigger, chuckling a little.

"I don't know," I exhale. My vision blurs. I blink, my breath hitching. It comes back.

'Have you slept?' Milo asks. I shake my head. He twists his lips. 'You should sleep.'

"I have nowhere to sleep." I wave my hand. Milo cocks his head, his eyes searching my face.

'How about Ixora?' I bite my tongue to keep myself from shouting out. That thunderstorm is already building in my chest. What would I tell Mars? How would I explain myself? How can I apologize if they already hate me?

Milo moves closer, lifting his left wing. He extends it behind me, like a shield from the sunlight.

'It'd be good for your conscience too,' He says. How am I supposed to show up to this peaceful memory and destroy it all? All of those times in Ixora laughing to the current. I don't want to diminish all those memories with the terrible now.

Milo starts walking. I watch him go. He turns a corner.

He's really not going to look back...

I sprint down the path to catch up to him. By the time I find him he's already on Ixora's road, a few paces from the door. I pant as I skid to a stop next to him. He stares at the door before his eyes find me. I blink back up at him, huffing.

"What?" I wipe away dewy sweat from my hairline. Milo nods his head at the door, raising his eyes.

He wants me to knock, doesn't he? I grumble, straightening my back. Last time I was here I was with everyone, even if it was bad. It wasn't the worst it got.

I've done so many bad things since last time.

My knuckles just brush the door. I clasp them in front of me to seize their shaking. Milo scuffs his shoe. I can see him pressing his lips together as he waits.

In the start of the splintering of the door Aquarii smiles, her eyes not yet on us. She yells something back into the cottage, but my ears won't work. Her eyes slide up, her face dropping as her eyes meet mine. Her mouth is opened slightly, her two crooked front teeth poking out. Her forest eyes widen. She looks the same.

"Aquarii!" Ota's voice shouts. "What are you-" Ota stops. It's face goes slack, eyebrows drawn up. From behind her, Mars and Elowin peek through the crevices. They rush forward as well, eyes full.

"BASTET!" Aquarii cries, snapping out of her daze. She rushes onto me, wrapping me in a hug. I raise my arms, shying away.

"Are you okay?" Ota asks in a hurried tone, stepping forward. Mars pushes it out of the way.

"You found Milo," They breathe, a hand coming to their chest.

"Bastet, where did you go?" Elowin chimes in, concern soaking her voice. Everyone's face turns to mine. I hesitate, a panicked smile flickering on my lips.

"Maylea," I say, my voice shaking only just. Milo's eyes meet my face. "That's where Avery and Quarry are. I came to get Milo." Elowin smiles softly, dissolving into a frown.

"Do you need anything?" She asks. I nod, swallowing down pressure.

"A bed," I say, my voice growing thicker. "A place to sleep?" Elowin nods quickly, thrusting her arms into the crowd and pushing everyone aside. She paves a way for me, taking my shoulder quickly. I glance back at Milo. He nods, his hand raising in a wave.

"You can take your old bed, or if you want mine?" I look up at Elowin, my vision hazy. I frown, actually think I pout, nodding quickly.

"Yours. Thank you." Elowin nods, turning around. She weaves through the room, gathering blankets and pillows. Elowin hands me them all. They bunch up in my arms.

"Of course, Bastet," Elowin says, everyone gathering around. "Let us know if you need anything more."