mouse - XL

Nyx

Sinking, squirming. Its paws thudded helplessly against my chest as I sunk my teeth deeper. It's milky fur parted, flesh drawing away for the pressure. The mouse squeaked, writhing. In a feeble attempt it yanked it neck away. Parting flesh, drowning blood. The mouse stilled as it greeted death.

I bit deeper, savoring the favor. Licking my lips, I stepped back. The mouse laid there limply, eyes fixated in something I could not see. They glazed.

I saw myself. Deep in my nest, it piled, layered, with furs and ferns. My fur was matted, dust weaved between. My chest barely moved. Languid? No. Dying.

I saw myself dying.

Darkness edged the cave. It was only me. No one else there to witness the ending of my life. No one else there to look into my eyes. I only had my own comfort.

If I were to act in visions, I would have ran. I wouldn't have stayed, watching before my eyes as my breathing turned stone and my eyes flashed once more. I wouldn't have stayed to watch as my body turned cold. Alone.

But I had too. I had to watch. And I did.

When I opened my eyes, the mouse was chilled cold. A growl lodged itself in my throat as the furs of my spine stood straight. I swatted the mouse. It skidded across the earth, catching on a root.

Dirt dug cold into my claws. Mind beated hot. I bared my teeth, spitting as I swung up the mouse. It thudded softly on stone. I seethed, drawing closer. The edge of the island was near. I could peer over to see the tops of the trees. They were like spear points. Like daggers from the ground.

A grin spread over my lips. Nobody could get me up here. Nobody could touch me. All that screaming and blood and death of Maylea. All those tears in the room, watching Malo. None of that would happen here. I was safe. I am safe.

This island. It floats. This freak of nature has granted me safety and prosperity. It has granted me daggers of pain stuck in my ribs. How does it do this? I wouldn't like to know. Just keep me here wrapped in its embrace and leave to the guillotine.

It's only just. A realm fit for a god.

Listen. I know. I know you're coming. You're on your way now. The cogs are moving to be set in place. There's going to be hardship before you finally make to me. But listen to him. He'll tell you the way. But don't dare listen to his past. It's all lies. I've changed. He's changed.

Why expect a hero when gods are murderers too? You can hope. But I know the end of this story. I know your future. I know you're coming.

So come.