golden hinges - XXX

Bastet

I keep my head down as we weave throughout the crowd nearing the palace. Milo keeps a wing covered over me. Cassius leads, his head and tail high.

The streets are barely navigable with the crowd. They are all nice with their finest clothes. Families gather by vendors, purchasing food for their children. Will the coronation be long?

I can't think about it too much. My stomach feels like it's on fire. My throat is swollen shut. My hands shake. I have to press them into my pockets to keep others from seeing.

"How shall we proceed?" Cassius asks, lifting his head higher so he can turn to us. Milo glances at me.

'You'll go in first,' Milo tells Cassius. He stops walking, veering us away from the flow. We stand beside a tree's base. I try not to let my eyes slip to the looming palace. Its mossy walls seem intimidating now. The grand doors are opened wide, Maylean citizens streaming in to see their new Queen.

What am I doing here? If anyone here knew that I murdered Roux....

"Why don't we all just enter together?" Cassius asks, his leafy eyes turned up to me. I glance back down at him.

"You have to represent the Meadow. Aren't there like announcements?" I ask. Milo elbows my ribs. His eyes bear into mine.

Oh shit.

I smile behind my words, aware of my lie. Cassius twitches his whiskers at us, his eyes slits as he stands.

"And when will Lady Sorrel arrive?" Cassius presses. I open my mouth.

'She couldn't make it so sent you instead,' Milo jumps in. I elbow him back. He mutters as he pushes my shoulder, smiling along with me. Cassius's eyes flick between us. He hums.

"Okay, I agree. But I know you kids, too. Lies won't work." Milo drops his hand from my shoulder, his eyes focused down. Is this the first time he's gotten in trouble for something? Who knew he was such a good student?

"You have to let us in through a door. Just find one nearest to the main entrance and we'll be there," I say. Cassius nods, stepping out behind us. He nods swiftly before plunging back into the flowing crowd.

Milo nudges my shoulder. I look back up at him. His eyebrows are stern across his eyes. He twists his lips a little.

'We're lying right?' Milo asks, turning toward the crowd. 'We're going right in?' I sigh, grabbing the hem of his shirt. I tug on it a little, scrunching up my face.

"We just have to hide in the crowd and then find Avery later," I tell him, angling myself behind Milo's body. He raises his arms, pushing his wings out. He takes me from beneath my armpits, holding me up like a kitten. I swing my feet before he lets me back down. "I think."

'You think?' He raises his eyebrows at me, eyes wide. I twist my lips.

"You know, I really didn't like it when you held me like a cat," I tell him. Milo chuckles, his nose scrunching.

"And I'll do it again," He says quietly. I frown at him. So much for good student.

Milo takes my arm as we plunge into the crowd. I step beside him as he hitches up his wings. To everyone else, only Milo walks here. I'm invisible to the eye.

The shadow of the palace crushes my lungs. Milo keeps on poking my arm to keep me moving with his pace but it's hard. My lungs hurt and my head too.

Milo ducks his head down as he moves sideways, deeper into the crowd. The doors of the palace near. From here, I can see the rusty golden hinges. The line slows. Shit. What's going on?