ports - XXXIX

Bastet

I wave my hand, my fingertips brushing my cheek. Milo and Avery follow me through the grasses. Milo shakes his wings flat, pressing them as close to his body as possible.

We discussed what the plan was. Head to the building I saw Quarry be taken to along the park as much as we can. Then we attempt to sneak in. But then again, there's cameras and the sun will be rising in an hour or so.

Milo said he'll try to keep his wings flush to his back. But his wings are big and definitely not something Kysonians are used to seeing.

I sniff as I peer above the grasses. Milo and Avery stop close to my heels.

I'm not sure if Avery has considered a reality where we could be friends again, or even think about being friends. But my chest feels looser and I can breathe easier now knowing Roux's death was complications and not caused by my desire for it.

I said I didn't kill Roux. I hate it but I did. Complications by my hands ever still.

The cut of the grasses to Kyson's cityscape is sudden atop the hill. My eyes rake the buildings, searching for one that seems familiar. All I remember is the fire-sun and lampposts. The trees were near. I turn around. Crouching back down to face Milo and Avery.

"We're going to have to go in. I can't see landmarks from here." Avery squints at me. "Just have your sword handy."

"You do not have to tell me twice," Avery grumbles, standing up. Her sword glistens in the fading moonlight. I nod, rising to my own feet. I lead us on the hill, pushing away grass as we near the city.

Milo shakes his wings as the last blade of grass falls from my grasp.

'I'm flying above to scout,' He says, shaking his wings wide. 'Avery raise your sword when I am to come down. I'll send wind if people are near.'

"Okay," Avery says, swinging her sword to rest on her shoulders. "See you in a minute." Milo nods, bending his knees before jumping. I block my face from the gusts of wind as he rises into the sky. He nods before he flies ahead. I swallow.

"Let's go," Avery mutters, her fingers spread wide. I led her through the Kysonian streets. The neon signs are alight with green and purple. Advertisements pass my eyes as my feet move across the sidewalks.

No one is out this early in this part of town. We're closer to the military portion than the civilian sector. Avery sticks close to my side. Her eyes are wide but eyebrows firm. Her lips keep quivering.

A gust of wind blows my hair to the side. Avery snaps her attention upward. Milo circles above us, his face serious.

Avery pushes me behind her, backing us up into an alleyway. I push her shoulder down as voices near. I keep my eyes wide as the voices grow louder. Three people pass by on the other side of the street. They are dressed in civilian clothing. They move without leaving their conversation. Avery steps aside to let me through.

The sun is starting to rise. The milky blue of the morning sky creases the darkness. Avery hums before she continues walking. I search.

Up ahead is the same lamppost as the one I took refuge behind. The square frame and base. I wave my hand. Avery stops, her eyes turning from me to the lamppost.

"Is that it?" She asks, voice low. I shake my head.

"We're close though, those square lampposts are only in this part of Kyson. Everywhere else has rounded." Avery furrows her eyebrows, her lips pursed as she studies the lamppost.

"Why did they change it?" She wonders aloud. I frown.

"Kysonian military district. This must be an outskirt part or maybe another sector," I respond, my hand resting on the edge of the base. "They change depending on the civil or military sectors. Mom said it was the same in the Della ports." Avery hums, continuing forward.