just die - XIV

Nyx

The money I had been trading piled. Malo gaped down at it. The evening sunlight sliced through the high window. My feet tucked under the stool. Malo leaned across the bar as he touched each coin briefly.

How dare he even believe I wasn't capable of getting his demands.

"I will take a drink," I said, grinning at him. My hair slipped into my eye. Malo bobbed his head in a sigh. He turned his back to me. Running liquid.

"So what will you do now?" Malo asked. He turned back, laying the stout drink of mine before me. I raised it to my lips gently. Malo was so quick to ask me of my endeavors after him. Oh, how he wanted me to stay. I thought I should indulge him. I should stay. Without Malo's bar I would be back without drinks and bodies. I don't think I could stand to live without oxygen.

"Oh, you want me so," I purred, my hand caressing under my jaw. I leaned more. Malo rolled his eyes. "Admit you just want me because you love me."

"Yeah right," Malo snorted, shoving his hand in my face. He chuckled as he raised his hands to rub at his face. I hummed. Malo shot me a look. "What?"

"Is that a flush? Oh! You really do love me so!" I batted my eyes at him as he laughed.

"Gold!" He exclaimed, laughter lacing his voice. He leaned up against the counter. His elbows brushed mine. His eyes. "If you try to seduce me I'll show you my records."

"Of what, hm?" I asked. My tongue pressed against my teeth. Malo raised his dark eyebrows. He grinned as he rocked back. His heels clicked.

"How about every girl I've seen leave here disheveled, hm?" I pressed my cheek against my shoulder. Malo waved his hand triumphantly. He beamed.

"I bet you think you did something. How cute." Malo's face dropped as he turned back to me. I chuckled. A grin wiped my face. "I bet I have more people want me than you will ever get. Don't worry, if you ever get lonely, you can join us." I tossed him a wink.

"GROSS," Malo gagged, rubbing his face frantically. He burned through. I took another sip of his drink, chuckling along with his exclaims. The warmth of the drink pooled in my stomach. It heavied my organs. It slowed my thoughts.

* * *

From the doorway I watched the man leave. Malo shot me a look. The man left in tears. I raised my eyebrows at Malo as I held up a handful of coins. He looks back down.

I sat down at the bar. Malo sighed as the coins rattled on the counter. He glanced up at me before setting down a drink. He poured himself on. We sat there, voices crowding our heads from patrons.

Malo exhaled as he sat down his glass.

"There are two types of people who leave your room Gold," Malo mutters, his eyes focused on the veins of my hands. I raised my eyebrows, my lips curling into a smile.

"Oh?" Malo's jaw muscles tightened as he swallowed. He hesitated in breath.

"The few girls that leave with messy hair and everyone else who looks like they are ready to take their last breath." I grinned as Malo glanced up. His eyes were wide. Watery. How amusing he was.

"It's most enjoyable either way," I told him. Malo's jaw tightened again as he exhaled breath onto his lips.

"Why do you do it?" He asked. I watched him in the hazy light. It reflected sickly violet off his skin. Bodies made the bar hot, heavy breath and flesh brushing. Laughter muted my ears.

What was his question? Why do I do it? I don't know what he meant. Why do I survive? This is the only way I know how.

I found myself grinning despite my thoughts. Malo just stared.

"I don't have to explain it to you." Malo nodded, his lips pressed together. Fine lined. He raised his glass again. His brown eyes flitted down.

"You'll hurt people," He murmured. I saw his lips more than heard his voice. "You're going to end up hurting a lot of people."

My eyes burned hot. For some reason, my body was shaking. My hands trembled before we met eyes. Malo's mouth opened. I pushed my fist into the counter. Screwing up my face, I hissed as I leaned into him. Malo's breath was cool against my cheek.

My face lessened. I softened my eyes.

"You know why?" I purred. "I don't care. People are disposable. I am doing the best I ever have. They're going to regret it." Malo burst shaky breath on my cheek. "They're going to regret leaving me alone." I pushed back. Clattering, I wove through the crowd. Somewhere Malo's eyes were still on me. I was sure of it. He wasn't the type to leave me alone.

That imbecile. That idiot. He had no idea who I was. Who I am. He wanted me to accept his pity. I didn't need it. I don't. I'm a Gold-Eyed. I need no pity. I need no help. I am the most powerful Lendro ever to exist. The most powerful being at that. He should adore me. He should crawl up at my feet and sob.

Oh! Oh, Nyx! How wrong I was! How could you ever forgive me!

Mother and Cassius will regret it all. They will regret leaving me. They will make like the seekers of knowledge sobbing at my feet. They will beg for my sight. They will beg for me.

They should. They should feel it so deep in their bones they hate to breathe. They hate their bodies and minds and actions. They should feel it like I felt their leaving. They should feel it greater than me. They should suffer. They should die. Die. Die. Die. Die.

Die die die die die die die die.

They should bleed heavy blood from their necks. They should choke on their own crimson. Hot and sticky. Flooding their stomach until it bursts. Heavy body. Slowing body. Organs shutting down. Oh, oh!

They'll regret it. They'll take one look at me. Hear my name. And they'll bleed. They'll make their own hands do my work. Because look! I am doing the best anyone can! I have everything! And them? They left.

They should just die.