Chapter 25 : Betrayal and Misery

October 11th, X518 (The day after dethronement)

"Dear, don't go. It's very dangerous." Her mother's plead broke the silence of the night. "ULTEAR, DON'T YOU DARE STEP OUT OF THE MANOR. STOP RIGHT THERE." She heard her father's angry voice stopping her not to do something stupid. Yet, she chose to leave, ignoring those pleads or demands. She ran further to meet her best friend whom she believed she was innocent. She ran and ran, withstanding the cold breeze that greeted her, the cold air breathed into her lungs.

    After a long run, she became tired, but her tiredness wasn't as important as her friend's safety. This evening, she heard that Mira broke up with Prince Laxus, and that the said girl chose to stand with her father. She didn't believe that news. Because she thought Mira was blackmailed by her father August Strauss.

     Soon, she reached the Strauss Manor. As the door was opened, she did rush into the compound without thinking twice. She saw the white-haired girl standing in front of her. "Mira, come with me," She said urgently, she was a bit relieved to see Mirajane was all unharmed.

     What she didn't expect was Mira pushed her, "GO!" She fell to the ground, and she saw hate and heartlessness on the white-haired girl's fierce face.

"Mira, why are you behaving like this? We're friends," she said, sadness lingering in her voice.

"GO AWAY!" Mira demanded again before throwing a purple magic sphere at her. She dodged quickly. Then she tried to close to her best friend, but she was stopped by a black magic circle that suddenly appeared beneath her feet. Her eyes widened when she realized the magic circle was a dark spell cast by another mage. She saw a man in a black robe step into the scene followed by five mages. She looked at her best friend, silently telling her to save her because she couldn't break that spell. Her hope was shattered into pieces when she stared into Mira's cold eyes. It was the moment she realized she was betrayed by her best friend, and the cost was her own life.

A sad smile crept on her face as she closed her eyes, totally surrendering to the trap. She was lifted into the air, and several darkness magic blades slashed her skin like hell. Her shouts echoed the surrounding, and the pain was the only thing she knew at that moment.

• • • • •

May 6th, X524 (7 AM)
Ultear's house yard, Fullbuster Manor

      Red eyes opened immediately, Ultear woke up from a nightmare, she was sweating and breathing heavily. It had been over five years but that terrible past appeared in her sleep every single night. The black-haired maiden looked outside through the window to calm her mind. The sun had already risen, and the bright rays indicated that today was a peaceful morning too.

     On contrary, her mind was in mess. She hated everything, hated her stubbornness and her recklessness. She regretted that she disobeyed her parents and went to see Mirajane. She hated the awful feeling of being betrayed, fear, and hopelessness. The prize she had given because of her stupid action was her magic.

      She had been a useless girl for many years, staying only inside the Fullbuster Manor, not to mention she was in the depth of depression. Her father was a leader of the clan and her mother was a mentor of ice magic users. They couldn't spend much time with her, everybody was busy. She wished she could help her family and share their burdens, but she couldn't.

• • • • •

May 6th, X524 (11 AM)

"Who's there?" Ultear shouted as soon as she heard a soft shaking sound from the bushes in the yard. She was watering the plants in her small garden. Her outfit was a simple knee-length dark blue dress, and her long black hair was half tied by a white hair scarf.