Chapter 52 : A Nightmare

June 13th, X524 (0:10 AM)

      At the quiet place, two streets away from the 'White Hart' pub, Laxus stopped his steps. Lucy, who was following him, also halted, as a moment of silence remained between them.

"Your Highness, Gemini lured them out and killed them. So, you don't have to worry if I might stain your reputation," she whispered, "I'm sorry."

      The young man turned around, before looking at her. Although they were standing a few meters apart right now, their relationship seemed too far from each other. She would never know how he felt when he heard that she had sneaked out, or when the captured troublemaker intentionally told them that they had kidnapped Lucelia Dreyar. Deep inside, he realized that he was scared of losing her. The thought of 'what if she got hurt' had been tormenting him this whole time.

      And there, she was... standing bravely, not only defending all accusations but also turning those unfriendly glares from the commoners into admiring looks. It was the moment he realized that he didn't have enough faith in her strength. Til now, he always thought little of her... always decided things for her, regardless of her actions.

      The entire conflict was his fault. It was his domineering personality and his temper which always hurt her. Because of his stubbornness, he created a wall of unfriendliness between them.

"Sorry," he said. She looked at him with confused eyes.

"For not believing you... for questioning your actions.. for neglecting your feelings and for avoiding you. I know it was late, but I still want to apologize."

      Lucy wasn't sure whether he was sorry for this accident or her confession. What she knew was that, for a proud royal prince like him, to apologize to a mere girl like her... 'I'm not worthy of your apologies,' was her thought.

"I'm the one who should apologize, Your Highness. I act without thinking the probability of my plan being failed. If only something went wrong, Your Highness, Fairy Tail, and Sabertooth will be in uproar again. I overestimated myself."

      She had figured out how to lure the culprit out, and also the identity of the fake girl with the help of Virgo who got some information about the silver key holders. However, she missed two points; that Karen would send one of her men to inform to city guards beforehand, and that City Guards would arrive very quickly. Of course, it was more convenient for her to clear all rumors in the spot. Even so, a part of her didn't want his anger or disappointment.

"Sometimes, overestimating yourself is good, Lucy," he walked towards her, and stopped three steps away, "You did well... but next time, please tell me first, okay?" he pursed his lips into a slight smile.

"Are you complimenting me, Your Highness?" she whispered, being puzzled as to why he was acting like this. Earlier, he was mad at her, and the next moment, did he just praise her?

      Laxus removed his long black furry coat, and put it over her shoulder, "Wear it. It's windy here."

       His large coat was long enough on her that it almost touched the ground. Lucy held the hems of the coat tightly so that it wouldn't fall off.

"Juvia, take her home," Laxus raised his voice so that the bluenette could hear him. Under the street lights, Lucy saw a feminine figure which was standing some distance away, and started moving towards them. Juvia seemed like she had given them some space.

"I've already arranged a carriage to send you," Laxus told Lucy. A carriage arrived a minute later after the blond prince's signal. Juvia was standing behind Lucy, and locked her arms around Lucy, "Prince Laxus, please excuse Lucy and Juvia first."