Chapter 11

I finished drinking the last ounce of my milk and placed my bowl in the sink. Not long after, Sammies bowl was too in the sink amd we were in her room sitting on her bed in eerie silence.

"You ready." She said. I nodded taking a deep breath and releasing my grip on her house phone as I hastily typed the phone number in.

There were a few rings and a small crack on the end on the other emd of the line. I tensed up as a voice sounded on the other end of the line.

"You have reached the voicemail box of-" I hung up quickly.

"She didnt answer." I said proudly and a bit relieved. God knows what couldve happened if shw answered. What would I say? What if it wasnt her?

"Hmm. Let me see." Sammie said holding her hand out for the phone. I reluctantly handed it over and she called the number back.

"Hi, is this Mrs. Becky Filder." Sammie said politely.
She paused as the person on the other end of tbe line spoke before putting it on speaker.

I caught the end of a raspy voice saying, "who you are?"

"Why my name is Samantha Bruner and I am actually doing a-" She stopped looking up to me her eyes searching for help, "A- um- im helping plan a memorial for Elizabeth Gorian and I was wondering what information you could give me on her."

"Well. She was a real-" Mrs. Filder paused. "Did you say memorial. Oh I would love to come what day is this gonna be on?" She said brightly.

Sammies face contorted into one of worry.
"Oh, u-um we arent sure yet." She cleared her throat. "Bu-"

She was cut off by Mrs. Filders voice. "You pesky little kids always calling my house about this poor little girl. Ill have you know that Elizabeth was a very kind girl and did not deserve what happened to her. Now if you'll stop bothering our family about this I would very much appreciate it. Thank you and goodbye."
Sammie and I stared at the phone dumbfounded.

"Well I dont blame her." I said. Sammie shrugged her shouoders in agreement.

"Maybe we should try calling again later and maybe try telling her the truth."

"THE TRUTH?!" I snapped. "No. No one can know the thruth. She'll probably think we're nuts."

"Worth a try." Sammie suggested.

"If I were her I would have gotten my number changed by now."

"Maybe she did. For all we know Elizabeth gave you her new number." I groaned rubbing my temples. We werent getting anywhere amd there were so many questions. Too many questions.

I plopped my back down onto Sammies bed. "Unbelievable." I murmered. "Just unbelievable."

"I know." Sammie whispered. "The feelings mutual."