Chapter 12

Sammie and I were now on her bed trying to come up with a reasonable explantion for everything, but in the end as usual nothing matched up.

"Oh I know, maybe she decided to give you the invitation to show when the date was." Sammie said.

"We could've easily found that online, besides what does the date have to do with anything, it doesnt even match her death record." We both knew the answer to that. Nothing. It had nothing to do with anything. We both shook our heads in defeat.

"Well what about her friend." Sammie started, "The girl who invited her, her name was Lucy. Her and Elizabeth would both be 15 right now, so this means Lucys still here. Here in Vermont with her mother."

"So we could maybe try calling back and this time I answer but say Im a friend of Lucys. If that doesnt work Plan B would be telling Mrs. Filder the truth." I said happily. We finally had a plan. We finally had an answer. Sammie just smiled.

"Smartest crayon in the box." She complimented and I nodded looking over to her clock. It was 5:30 and my mom was picking me up at 7.

"We've only got so much time so I say we get to work." I said. Sammie nodded noticing the clock too ans began taking out her laptop and two notepads.

"Here you go." She said handing a notepad to me. "Write down any information you think might be helpful, in the mean time Im gonna do research." She got up to grab the house phone and I took it, my hands already shaking.

"Alright." I muttered to myself. "You can do this." I dialed in the number we used earlier and politely said a hello as Mrs. Filders familiar voice answered the phone.

"Hi might I ask who's speaking." Mrs. Filder said politely.

"Oh um my name's Jamie, I'm a friend of Lucy's from school, is she there?"

"Just one second." Mrs. Filders kind voice said. I could hear her voice a bit distant from the phone as she called Lucys name. "Lucy sweety! Someone needs you on the phone!"

I could hear a petite voice replying in the background and my heart skipped a beat. "Okay Ill be right there, just a sec." The voice said.

"Alright she'll be right here." Mrs. Filder said. I heard a static sound on the other end of the line as she handed the phone to Lucy.

"This is Lucy can i ask whos speaking?" The polite screechy voice asked.

"Hi my name is Jamie. I was wondering if I could talk to you in private."

"Mom I'm going to my room." Lucy called to Mrs. Filder before continuing. "Okay."

"I'm investigating the case of Elizabeth Gorian." I said and I could hear Lucy take a deep annoyed breath on the other end of the line. "Pleasedonthangup." I said quickly,

"Why shouldnt I?" Lucy said inquistively from the other end of the line. "I'm constantly being reminded her death and Im sick of this." She said her voice cracking on the last word, bringing herself to sob.

"Because." I whispered, "I'm gonna find out what happened to Elizabeth. I'm gonna get Justice for Elizabeth Gorian."

She stopped in between sobs and sniffeld. "So this isn't another person looking for information on a ghost story."

"No." I said pleading and relieved.

"Well. I can tell you whatever it is you need to know." She said. "But you may not be able to find much, even the professionals couldn't solve the crime." But I have the victim herself speaking to me. I wanted to say but instead bit my lip.