CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN; INSANE IN THE BRAIN

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN; INSANE IN THE BRAIN — Also known as; The Monster and The Superhero, Part 1

• • •

⚠️ trigger warning ⚠️
Indirect ideation of suicide..

• • •

All I could focus on was the stash of weed I'd had to pull out of Robbie's trousers before the ambulance had arrived that I'd hidden deep in my pocket. I didn't dare breathe in the direction of Chief Powell or any of the officers for that matter. I was too afraid to turn around and look at the mangled body of that poor boy again. I was frozen.

The ambulance could've taken years to come for all I know. Robbie had remained unconscious until they had arrived and Kaylee had cried the entire time. They were quick at tending to Robbie but they were as equally horrified as Katie and I to see that boys body lying on the road.

The police arrived only minutes after the ambulance had. I guessed that they'd contacted the police department after Katie started screaming about a boy being dead. She'd had a panic attack after that and I was in too much shock to comfort her. It wasn't until I heard the sirens did I remember that Robbie had mentioned he had a second bag of weed in his pocket and I knew it needed removing before the ambulance arrived.

I'd just got in my pocket as the red and blue lights began to flash around us. They rushed Robbie off the the hospital quickly, Kaylee travelling with them and leaving Katie and I behind to deal with the police and their questions. They had been relentless and neither of us were in good shape but they didn't ease up. In fact, they grilled us harder and when he started to struggle Callahan sniffed the air in an exaggerated manner,

"You smell that, Chief?" He said, looking around, "Smells an awful lot like marijuana."

Powell nodded as he looked around curiously, "You know, come to think of it .. I do."

I barely lifted my eyes off the ground to look at them both. Beside me, I saw Katie fidget as she started picking her cuticles. I was tempted to give her a kick but that would make it even more obvious than her fidgeting.

"Did any of you happen to be smoking marijuana tonight, girls?" Powell asked us.

"No." I mumbled.

"Huh." He nodded, "You sure, Henderson?"

I met his gaze, "Positive."

"I know your old man would hate to hear his daughters been smoking illegal substances on her second night back in town." Callahan said to me.