CHAPTER TEN; THE RACE

CHAPTER TEN; THE RACE — Also known as; The Mind Flayer, Part 1

• • •

I walked behind everyone as we came back up the abandoned train line we'd hiked over once already today. Steve, Max, Dustin and Lucas walked in front of me together in a huddle.

My head was swirling, struggling to comprehend everything that had just happened. Dustin's genius plan had completely backfired, I'd just spilled my heart and soul out to a girl I'd known five minutes, Steve and I had kissed. It was enough to knock me dizzy.

The memory of Steve brushing his lips over mine, kissing me, me pulling away. It was a vivid as day but it was only a memory now.

Was it a spur of the moment thing, adrenaline induced? Or did Steve actually mean to kiss me. Perhaps I was playing into this a little too much but was there the possibility that Steve actually liked me? But then going off what I'd heard him tell Dustin earlier it certainly sounded like a spur of the moment decision. He and Nancy had broken up three days ago and there's no way you could get over someone that easily — especially when they'd been together nearly a year.

Was I a rebound?

Oh, this just got worse.

"Are you sure that was Dart?" Lucas asked from in front of me.

"Yes." Dustin replied, "He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt, didn't he Jen?"

"What?" I said, taken by surprise before my mind caught up with what was being said, "Oh right, yeah. Yeah it was Dart."

"You okay?" Dustin asked and the four of them looked back at me.

I nodded silently as Max turned back to Dustin, "He was tiny two days ago."

"Well he's molted three times already." Dustin retorted.

"Malted?" Steve asked.

"Molted." Dustin corrected, "Shed his skin to make room for growth, like hornworms."

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked.

"Well it's gotta be soon." Dustin replied, "And when he does he'll be fully grown or close to it and so will his friends."

"Yeah and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve butted in.

"Wait, a cat?" Lucas asked, stopping Dustin by the shoulder. I slowed my strides even more, "Dart ate a cat?"

"No." Dustin lied, "What, no."

"What are you talking about?" Steve asked my cousin, "He ate Mews."

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked, looking up to Steve.

Harrington shrugged, "It's Dustin's cat."

I shook my head to myself, Steve wasn't reading any of Dustin's signals and now this was about to blow up again.