CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; STARCOURT RULES

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; STARCOURT RULES — Also known as; Suzie, do you copy?

• • •

JULY 1985

• • •

I slammed my car door shut with a sigh and took the sunglasses off my face. For as long as I remained living I would never drive from Indianapolis to Hawkins on the week Independence Day ever again, it just wasn't going to happen.

The traffic on the road was something I'd never seen before in my life. A journey that should've been 3 and a half hours ended up taking me 5 — and if that wasn't bad enough my foot was aching like a bitch.

Add the heat into the mix and you've got cars overheating on the sides of the roads, people melting inside their vehicles.

It was just carnage.

I pulled my bag out of the backseat and locked the car before walking up the drive and up the few steps to my aunt Claudia's house. The door was already open but my car was the only one parked in the driveway. When I'd spoken to my aunt Claudia this morning she told me she'd be home and so would Dustin but I seemed like no one was in the house.

"Hello?" I called out.

My brows furrowed when no one replied to me. Claudia said she'd be home when I got back, that she was excited to see me again because she'd missed me. The truth was I'd missed her too and Dustin and the whole party unbelievable amounts.

And Steve..

One month in Indianapolis away from them was too long. I'd gone from spending every day with them to suddenly not seeing them and even though it was only 30 days it was still long and it was still very, very boring. Two weeks with mom and two weeks with dad — as much as I loved my parents — was hard, especially when it was my mom and her boyfriend and my dad and his fiancée. It wasn't just us, it never was the entire time I spent there.

I wandered further into the living room, the television turned off ,creating silence in the room, and saw a small note on the coffee table. I walked round Claudia's chair and when I reached the table, picked up the note.

'Jen,

I just popped into town to grab some food for Tews—'

I looked up from the note to see the new cat. He wasn't really new, Claudia had had him nearly 2 months now but still. The lazy cat was laid on Claudia's chair already staring me out and I glared at him in return.

Tews had it out for me, I could just tell.

'—Dusty is over at the mall with his friends but I shouldn't be too long.

Claudia x'

I hummed to myself and nodded, "So that's where everyone went."

I picked my bags up again and headed into my room, pushing the door open with my leg and walking in. I dropped the bags on to the floor by my bed and collapsed down on my mattress with an exhausted sigh. After a minute or so of staring up at my ceiling I rolled over and reached for my phone, picking it up off the hook and calling the familiar number of the Wheeler residence.