CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE; LOSING YOUR MIND

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE; LOSING YOUR MIND — Also known as; The Flayed, Part 2

• • •

The doorbell chimed once, echoing into our ears as we stood waiting on the porch. I glanced left to Nancy once and rose a brow, no car on the drive, no sign of anyone in — why would they answer the door?

She gave me a small shrug and we turned back to the wooden door where she pressed the doorbell again.

No answer.

This time Jonathan glanced to Nancy and I before the three of us turned around to see El. She was standing behind us — in front of the rest of the kids — and silently we moved out of the way for her.

Just like that the door was open.

Slowly we piled in and the first thing that caught my eye was the switched on lamp. Why in the middle of the day would you have your hallway lamp on? We continued into the house when eventually Nancy broke our silence,

"Tom?" She called, "Heather."

"You know I don't think they'd reply even if they were here." I said to my friend pointedly, quiet while I looked at her.

Nancy was trying not to roll her eyes, I could see it in her face.

"Just a thought." I added.

"Shut up, Jen." She muttered to me, not in a malicious tone but she was definitely peeved that I'd suggested it. It brought a faint, amused smile to my lips and Nancy's eyes glimmered in slight amusement in return.

"Jesus, it's freezing." Max commented and we trailed into the living room.

I inhaled a foreign smell through my nose, it was strong and overpowering, nearly knocking me off of my feet.

"Do you guys smell that?" Nancy asked.

"Yeah." I nodded as the kids sniffed, "I do."

We walked into the kitchen, the smell becoming more and more prominent the closer we got and when I turned the corner I stepped back when it really hit me. It was like being slapped in the face with chemicals, the sheer strength caused my eyes to water.

"Oh .. god." Nancy mumbled coming to a halt besides me.

There were tons of aerosols laid out on the kitchen bench, cleaning products scattered everywhere. The corner of the cabinet had been torn open and I slowly walked forwards in shock, "What the hell is going on here?"

"More chemicals." Nancy said after me in confusion.

"Was Mrs. Driscoll eating chemicals?" I asked her.

"I don't think so." Jonathan replied, "Just fertiliser."

"This is mad." I replied as I picked up a bottle of bleach.