CHAPTER THREE; HAPPY HALLOWEEN

CHAPTER THREE; HAPPY HALLOWEEN — Also known as; Trick or Treat, Freak

• • •

I gave Dustin an enthusiastic thumbs up from behind my Aunt Claudia as she gushed over him, fixing his hair while holding the camera. He wore a ghostbusters costume with what Dustin had told me to be a 'proton pack' on his back. He really did look the part. I knew him and the party were obsessed with the film since it had come out just recently.

The bright flash from the camera illuminated and Dustin blinked ferociously before changing his pose. He pulled his fake gun used to catch the ghosts out from the side of his pack and pointed it towards the camera again.

I watched him with an amused smile, remembering what it was like to be a thirteen year old. The excitement of Halloween and of dressing up as your favourite new movie character or your favourite singer. One year I had gone as Sissy Spacek after watching 'Carrie' with my mom, it was one of my favourite costumes I'd had to date although the movie left me with horrendous nightmares for days.

Although while I was watching Dustin my mind was pre-occupied with the strange sound I had heard last night. I'd had dreams about it and everything. I'd never heard any animal make that noise in my life and if it was Mews he certainly needed Veterinarian attention.

I glanced over at the cat, sat on arm of my aunt Claudia's chair. When the cat looked at me I shuddered and averted my gaze quickly and checked my wrist watch, "Right well, I'm gonna head off—"

"Oh, no Jen quickly." Claudia turned to me and ushered me forwards, "You and Dustin can get a quick picture."

I groaned on the inside as I heard a car horn outside, "That's my ride."

Her face pleaded with me, "Just one."

My nostrils flared discreetly and I stepped over to Dustin while pressing my lips together. I slung my arm over my younger cousins shoulder and smiled quickly, recoiling away when the bright flash blinded me.

"Aw, Jesus." I muttered, rubbing my eyes, "Right, I gotta go. I'll see you guys later."

As I was half way out the door, Claudia called my name. I turned back into the house, "You forgot your keys!"

"It's fine, I'm getting a ride today aunt Claudia but thanks anyway!" I called back to her.

"Ooo, okay. Bye bye."

"Bye!" I called back, shutting the door with a sigh. She knew how to put someone in a rush that was for sure. I jogged over to the blue BMW and climbed into the back seat with a sigh.