CHAPTER TWENTY ONE; THE VANISHING OF JENNIFER HENDERSON

CHAPTER TWETNY ONE; THE VANISHING OF JENNIFER HENDERSON — Also known as; The case of the missing lifeguard, Part 2

• • •

I put the pills Hopper offered me to the back of my mouth and swallowed them with the cup of black coffee in my hand. My brain pounded in my head, throbbing against the walls of my skull almost like it was itching to break its way out. I winced painfully, the room spinning as I brought my head back down. Any small action caused a dizzy spell, I felt as if I'd just walked off the rotor ride that you found at the carnivals.

"Jen." Joyce spoke tentatively, her voice quiet, "What happened to you last night?"

I glanced to the side of me to see her as she sat next to me, her hand on my arm as concern filled her eyes. Hopper was sat on the coffee table opposite me, leaning his elbows on his legs to sit closer.

I closed my eyes slowly and exhaled before placing the cup on the table next to the Chief, "It's a blur." I told them, my voice cracking.

"Tell us what you can remember." Hopper told me.

I rubbed my wrist gently, the small but various burns around them stinging, "I was supposed to go out with Steve." I told them, "We were going to meet outside Starcourt at eight after his shift finished."

"But?" Joyce edged gently.

"He didn't turn up." I forced out. The pain in my head was so immense it brought hot tears to my eyes, I'd never felt anything like this before, "I don't know whether he forgot or.. but he didn't show."

"Did you walk home?" Hopper asked me.

"I started to." I responded, "I got the last bus so I didn't have my car. I think I got about five minutes down the road when a car pulled up beside me." Joyce and Hopper exchanged nervous glances, "It was only Billy."

"Billy Hargrove?" Hopper asked me.

I nodded in response but even that small action hurt, "He offered me a ride back into town and I accepted.. I—" My breath caught in my throat, "I can't remember anything after that."

And it was true, everything after that was filled by an empty void. The very last thing I remembered was getting into Billy's car.

"And have you seen Billy since last night?" Hopper asked.

I shook my head.

"Jennifer." Joyce started, "Do you know you're bleeding?"

"Am I?" I asked, looking up to her.

She nodded, "Your head, sweetheart."

I found my bottom lip trembling as I held Joyce's eyes, "What happened to me?" I asked.

Joyce wrapped her arms around me as I started to shake, "We're not sure."

"How did you find me?" I asked her, still in her embrace.