CHAPTER FORTY SIX; 1983

CHAPTER FORTY SIX; 1983 — Also known as; The Massacre at Hawkins Lab, Part 2.

• • •

• • •

Being in the Upside Down was killing me. I couldn't keep a grip on my emotions out here, I was constantly pivoting between an overwhelming dread and anticipation and it was starting to mess with my head. First it was the gate being blocked off, next it was Nancy's missing guns and realising we were somehow stuck in 1983 here and now it was waiting for Dustin to communicate with us.

Eddie's SOS had worked and when I heard Dustin's voice saying he received the signal I'd nearly collapsed in relief. My knees had actually gone numb. I was a total mess in here. My heart had been punching against my rib cage for well over an hour now. It was unhealthy—I felt like I was going to drop at any second. What made it worse was that I felt so much more vulnerable here. I knew Vecna could somehow travel between the two worlds to possess his victims but there was something about being on his territory that made it so much worse. I was half expecting to turn around and see him lurking in the shadows behind me.

I felt like he knew I was here. It was hard to explain but it was just a feeling...a really bed feeling. Here, everything felt stronger. The connections, the links—he controlled everything, of course he knew we were sneaking around in his world. Maybe he didn't know where we were but if I was hyper aware of him surely he was aware of me..of us.

It was why we needed to get the hell out of here now. We needed another plan—one that ideally didn't involve us going back out into the open and hiking across town to the Sheriffs station to arm ourselves and then coming back on ourselves just to get out of this godforsaken place.

I found myself staring at a Lite-Brite,
owned by Holly Wheeler, laid out on Nancy's bed apprehensively while holding my breath and pressing my lips together. The seconds since Dustin had first shouted out to us had dragged by, especially when it took him a good few seconds to realise that our only way of responding to him was via the lights in the house. He told us to hold on and then disappeared but Steve and I had followed his voice through the house and we listened as he attempted to figure out the best way to communicate with us.

His voice led us into Holly Wheelers bedroom and the next thing we heard was him instructing us to find a Lite-Brite. I'd shouted Nancy, Robin and Eddie up the stairs and they came thundering up within seconds, eyes wide and ready. Nancy had no idea where their Lite-Brite was and the five of us had turned each bedroom upside down in our attempts to find it. It was Eddie who actually located it though—hiding under Mike Wheeler's bed. He scooped it up and called out to us all loudly and we met in Nancy's bedroom, gathering by the device and kneeling down in front of her bed.

We'd been glued here ever since... watching and waiting.

"Come on." Steve murmured, shining the flashlight on the dark Lite-Brite, "Come on."