CHAPTER SIXTEEN; RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK

CHAPTER SIXTEEN; RACE AGAINST THE CLOCK — Also known as, The Gate part 3

• • •

It really was a mad dash to get back to the hole and out of these tunnels knowing that there was the possibility of being mauled to death by Demodogs. The whole thing was incredibly hard, Mike guiding us, Steve carrying me and trying to beat the foreign animals.

With every step Steve took it was painful for me. He was trying to be careful but we were in too much of a rush. He was running as carefully as he could but because the ground was bumpy it was causing my foot to move.

All I could do was bite into my lip to try and prevent any noise trying to escape my mouth.

I just buried my head into Steve's neck and cried quietly in pain.

The tunnels started to shake and Steve held on to the wall next to us to stop himself from falling. Next to us, Mike and Max tripped to their knees but scrambled up quickly, the roaring of monsters echoed through the small tunnels.

"What the hell is that?" Max asked.

"They're coming." Mike said, "Run! Run!"

That was all that was needed to be said to get us running and I clamped down on my lip hard to stop my cries of pain. We had bigger fish to fry right now.

"Come on Mike!" Dustin shouted to the boy as he guided us back.

"Move, move!" Steve yelled as he ran in the back so we could keep an eye on the pre-teens.

We rounded a corner and an unusual amount of light spilled into the tunnel, a single thin rope dangling.

"There! There!" Lucas chanted.

"Come on! Let's go!" Mike shouted.

"Go, go, go! Come on!" Steve yelled, placing me down carefully.

Mike and Dustin wrapped their arms around me to give me support as I stood on my non-broken foot for support while Steve lifted Max up high enough for her to climb out of the tunnel.

He turned to me next and beckoned me over, "Alright, Jen, come on."

I shook my head, "Get these out first—"

"—No, Jen come on, you're hurt." Dustin said.

"I'd rather you guys be safe, come on." I protested.

Steve lifted Lucas up next, pushing him up by his legs as he used the rope to pull himself up. At the top Max helped him get out.

Mike was next and I suddenly only had Dustin for support and my other leg was growing tired. I tried not to put all my pressure on to my cousin but I didn't really have much of a choice.

Steve got Mike out, Lucas and Max pulling him up from above and he reached for me next. He wrapped his arms around my middle but before he even got the chance to lift me off the ground we heard the Demodogs shrieking again.