CHAPTER THIRTY NINE; DEAR JEN

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE; DEAR JEN — Also known as; Dear Billy, Part 1.

• • •

• • •

Dear Jen,

I wasn't sure how to start this. I've been staring at this paper for, like, an hour now. Every other letter was pretty easy to write but for some reason I don't know what to say to you. You've been by my side since that night on the top of the bus when you opened up to me about your life and what you had been through without really knowing who I was. I knew then that you'd be somebody I could trust, somebody who would be by my side no matter what.

I never thought I'd find someone like you when I was dragged here but I'm glad I did. I found a family in all of you .. but when they were sceptical you weren't. We were both forced into this mess at the same time and I'm glad for that. It made us stronger, we had each other to lean on.

I don't think I'll ever be able to express how much gratitude I have for you. You helped me when no one else could. You kept Billy off my back, I still have no idea how you managed it but you did. You allowed me to have a shot at having a life here and half the memories I hold and cherish wouldn't be possible if it weren't for you. You guided me into this unconventional family and for that I'm eternally grateful.

I know you're scared. So am I, or I was anyway. I don't know why it has to be us. I'm not sure what we did. We must've really pissed someone off in our past lives for this to happen to us. I hope that whenever it does happen though you're not the one to find me. God, I hope it's not you.

I won't ever forget our weekly meet ups at your house or our chats at school when we were sick of everyone around us, when you'd talk about Steve and I'd talk about Lucas and how clingy they were. I'll never forget the night we sat and made that mixtape, even though it took us almost six hours of compromise and playing almost all of your records. I think it was my favourite mixtape, I've had five more made since we both got copies of the original.

I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you. Thanks for the memories. Thanks for being you. Thanks for being the older sister I never had.

Love always, the younger sister you never had,

Max..

• • •

24 HOURS EARLIER

• • •

"It was here." Max said to us all desperately, "Right here."

"A grandfather clock?" Nancy asked of her.

"It was so real." She responded, "And when I got closer .. suddenly, I just .. I woke up."

"It was like she was in a trance or something." Dustin said, "Exactly what Eddie said happened to Chrissy."