CHAPTER FIFTY TWO; CRITICAL

CHAPTER FIFTY TWO; CRITICAL — Also known as; The Piggyback, Part 3.

•  •  •

•  •  •

"It's been less than 48 hours since a 7.4 magnitude earthquake rocked the quaint town of Hawkins, 80 miles outside of Indianapolis, in an event that seismologists are calling 'a natural disaster of near-unprecedented scale.' The death toll now stands at 22. But with hundreds more filling Roane County hospitals and many more still missing, officials expect those numbers to rise."

• • •

Hawkins had never been more divided...

The once small, quaint, town was now on its knees though if you asked its residents it had been a long time coming. Mysterious murders and missing people investigations orchestrated by a national laboratory, over thirty residents killed in a tragic mall fire, a 'murder spree' by a boy working for Devil and now an off the scale earthquake that had led to... what exactly?

Mass destruction.

Hundreds of homes had been destroyed, hundreds of people declared missing, many dead...a town in complete uproar in the midst of sheer devastation.

The once small, quaint, Hawkins was now on nationwide news stations and not for a good reason. A town quite literally divided by a 7.4 magnitude earthquake—the largest earthquake ever recorded in the state of Indiana— had left its residents shaking. People scrambled to leave, taking what they could from their broken homes and never looking back. Others stayed, sleeping in makeshift refuge shelters in the school gyms.

And the missing residents? Well, the names stretched into the hundreds. Multiple search and rescue teams worked tirelessly every single day but with every hour that passed more and more hope was lost. Broken families consoled one another, trying to figure out a way to cope without their loved ones. Parties attempted to do the same... reunions weren't whole when their party wasn't complete.

Max was still gravely ill and Jennifer's name was still up on the official missing persons board that had been set up by government aid. No one could settle. No one could enjoy each others company after being apart for so long. The tension was thick between them all. Just what had happened that night? None of them had a true answer, not really. There was only Max and Jennifer who knew...not even El could make clear sense of what had happened. Of how Jennifer and Vecna had disappeared into thin air, of how he had managed to possess both she and Max at the same time.

What was to say Jennifer hadn't suffered the same fate as Max but they just didn't know because they hadn't found her? She had vanished...for good this time and it was something they were all struggling to come to terms with. They couldn't sleep, they couldn't eat, they could barely function.