CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN; VECNA'S CURSE

VOLUME TWO

CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN; VECNA'S CURSE — Also known as; Papa, Part 1.

• • •

• • •

That voice... it was one that would haunt my nightmares forever, one that had taunted me for days on end, one that made me question who it belonged to, one that messed with my head.

The deep and disturbing tone made the hairs on the back of my neck rise, it opened up the pit of endless fear in my stomach...it warned me of my impending doom.

At first, I'd thought it to be only a fragment of my imagination. After all I'd gone through, it didn't surprise me. When I first heard it—him—the night I'd found Fred's body I didn't even know he existed. The night at the school I realised just who it belonged to...who was haunting me.

Though in this moment, facing the nightmare in front of me, I couldn't bring myself to look for him. I knew he was close, perhaps lurking in the shadows and waiting for his perfect opportunity. There were lots of things I wanted to do but I was frozen in time, unable to even move...to turn and run. I was quite literally trapped inside this nightmare now that Vecna had caught up to me.

I'd been skeptical this whole time and the second I forgot about it—the minute I thought I'd be okay—he came crashing in when I least expected it. One minute I was passing through the gate, the next I was free falling through time and space into an alternate reality trapped inside my own head...because that's all this was, Vecna enslaving me in my own mind. I had been made a prisoner.

I stepped backwards, away from the chaos and the death. I could hear the terrified and pained screams still echoing in my ears as I looked between the two cars. The blood stains clung to the road and when I clenched my fists together they felt wet. I looked down to see my palms stained with the same substance and tears blurred my vision as I let out a panicked sob. Distorted images of that poor woman crying underneath me flashed through my head—before my eyes, forcing me to remember her...to remember what we did to her.

I closed my eyes and shook my head, "This isn't real." I sobbed, "This isn't real."

The scene of the car wreck I'd spent years trying to forget about was too familiar to me. It didn't matter how long I'd spent trying to put it behind me—years worth of therapy and suppressed memories suddenly became undone in a matter of seconds. As did the memories leading up to this sorry moment.

"You killed her, Jennifer." Vecna's voice taunted me again.

I shook my head and sobbed, "I didn't kill anyone!"

"You knew what you were doing." He responded, "What the dangers were."

"I wasn't the one driving." I said, looking up the sky, "Please, it wasn't me. I didn't have a choice."