CHAPTER ONE; HAWKINS OR HELL?

CHAPTER ONE; HAWKINS OR HELL? — Also known as: MADMAX, Part 1

• • •

"Oh Jesus I'm in uncharted territory here, guys." Dustin Henderson spoke to his friends in a panic as he frantically fiddled with the controls of the video game. His eyes were glued to the video character as it dipped and dived to defeat the dragon and save the princess. The buzz of the video store pushed him further, the sounds of several games echoing in his ears and remaining him he was in his own person heaven.

His three best friends crowed him in excitement, offering words of encouragement as they watched in anticipation.

None of them could hold their nerves and it proved when Lucas Sinclair yelled from Dustin's left, sending him into a frenzied panic, "Down! Down! Down!"

"I'm going! I'm going!" Dustin he retorted, moving the red joystick that guided the character he was playing as. The anxious and inaudible yells of his friends grew louder, all waiting to see if he would beat the game for the very first time as his score grew higher and higher.

Another move to the left and it seemed that Dustin was finally on the flip side. He'd seen Lucas play through this section before and he recognised it as looming victory. He bounced on his feet while he grinned in excitement, his heart pounding in his chest while he continued to play through. A notch to the right to avoid the dragon's fireball and a scoot forwards saw Dustin second away from success. It looked like he was about to beat the dragon and rescue the princess, "I'm going! I'm going! I'm going!" He yelled with a toothy grin.

The magic sword was in sight and his three friends continued to shout their separate advice at him until it was too much for him to handle. Their words mushed into one loud and distracting inaudible yell. They rocked his concentration while he tried to manoeuvre the character to retrieve the sword and he snapped, "Okay. Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!"

Too late however, his character was charcoaled by the dragon and the animation saw the skeleton of the defeated hero crumble on to the floor in a pile of bones leaving the four pre-teens in defeat.

"No, no, no! I hate this overpriced bullshit!" Dustin cursed in frustration while hitting the machine repeatedly, "Son of a bitch! Piece of shit!"

"Your just not nimble enough but you'll get there one day." Lucas said to Dustin although it was clear he was still pleased that he remained the only one in the group to rescue the princess, "But until then, Princess Daphne is still mine."

"Whatever." Dustin rolled his eyes as they walked away from the game, "I'm still top on Centipede and Dig Dug."

But as if his recent defeat wasn't enough of a kick to the teeth, Keith, a teenage boy who worked in the arcade, forced himself into their conversation of comparing who held the most high scores, "You sure about that?" He said as they passed him, his docile eyes staring at Dustin while he had his hand deep in an extra large bag of cheese puffs, the dusty coating sitting on his uniform top.