CHAPTER FORTY TWO; DON'T LEAVE ME

CHAPTER FORTY TWO; DON'T LEAVE ME — Also known as; The Nina Project, Part 2.

• • •

• • •

A re-group saw us driving through town in the late morning to locate a place Max had drawn based off her memory from when Vecna had possessed her. She had no way of describing it, there wasn't enough words in the dictionary to be able to describe something of that nature so, when she'd ventured upstairs earlier this morning she picked up Holly Wheeler's colouring pencils and began drawing.

Dustin had been the one to interrupt Steve and I. We hadn't moved since he'd wrapped his arms around me. The both of us just took advantage of one another's embrace.

I felt better for telling Steve the extent of my trauma, I felt like I'd been able to take another big step towards getting better but I was far from the finish line. I had leaps and bounds ahead of me still, but knowing Steve didn't blame me for what I'd done was a huge weight off my shoulders.

I felt comfortable in his presence again, normal. It was almost as if we hadn't been broken up for almost seven months. I was sure my friends had all noticed it too, after all, I could stand within two feet of him now without shifting in discomfort.

I could still feel some form of tension radiating from Steve, however. It hadn't all self resolved. I suspected it to be more apprehension more than anything. What I had told him was pretty big ... it was a heavy confession. It felt like he was checking in on me from a distance, glancing over every now and then. He just wanted to make sure I was truly okay, he didn't want to assume anymore.

Nancy had driven this time and I had been in the trunk with Steve and Dustin — similar to how it was the night of the fire. I remembered the declarations Steve and I had made to one another that night, the promises we had made. Some of them still yet to be fulfilled...

When the car rolled to a stop and the audible click of the handbrake being pulled up echoed around the car I tuned out of the soft conversation Dustin, Steve and I had been creating. I looked fleetingly out the car window to the old house we had pulled up in front of and felt a shiver run down my spine.

"Yeah." Steve mumbled quietly as he reached for the inside handle to open the trunk door. I was confused at first but when I tore my gaze away from the house to look at him I found him already looking at me, "I feel the same."

He must've seen me shiver.

Steve climbed out the back of the car as everyone else did and Dustin followed him. I scooted forwards and climbed out last, taking Steve's hand as he offered it to me with a small, grateful smile and he closed the trunk door behind me before following to the pavement in front of the house.

I wrapped his jacket around my body tightly while we looked up at the decrepit house in front of us. The old blue wood had chipped and worn away, now most likely a much darker shade than it's original painted shade due to years to neglect and rain. The white features had turned grey, moss growing upon it and having the darkened effect on it. The windows had been boarded up, the trees and bushes surrounding the property dead... it was like whatever had happened here had killed everything surrounding it.