Better Reunions

"Y/N?"

I turned around to see the one and only.........

"Professor Draxum!" I ran towards him to give him a hug. He is Aunt Mama's biggest rival, but he was still very dearly close to me. He was the person who guided me through my magic studies. He picks me and spins me around. "Oh, Y/N. Good to see you. What are you doing here in the market?" He places me down, and I dust my clothes off. "I was just checking for artifacts, the ones that might help me with my magic?" He shook his head at my answer. He placed a hand on my shoulder to spin me around to the other direction. "This is not the place you should be alone, there are many mischievous yokai that would lead you astray. Follow me, you can stay at my lab as I call your parents." We started walking out the market, and I was not really pleased. I'm not a kid anymore, I can take care of myself. I tried to keep my pouting face the entire time I was with him, but he wasn't irritated nor amused. Professor is always so hard to read. 

We reached his laboratory later, it was far different than the last time I saw it. Like it was rebuilt and renewed. Even his equipment seemed to have changed, everything was looking dusty too. The more I look around, the less menacing the place looks. It was like everything had been baby proofed, was that intentional? 

"Hey, Prof? What happened to your lab?" He settled down a few bags, probably from the market. He turned to look at me. "It's been too long since we last met, what was it? Two or three years? Things happened, and I don't exactly live here anymore. It's still my lab either way, but I have moved to a living quarters." He had a face of disgust that switched into acceptance really quickly. He also told me that his mutation projects had come to a close. I remember he told me about it when I was younger, I was kinda the inspiration. I had a magic outburst when I was little, and that was when my mom looked for the professor. He spent his time with me in order to do research on me. He said that I was like this because of my synergy. He had already attempted to make an army with the same synergy I had, so he had to find newer human subject. It couldn't be me, because my human DNA will easily get overpowered by the yokai DNA. He left my family after my outbursts calmed themselves. I haven't really seen him all that much, but I've written to him multiple times. His letters stopped coming when I was in highschool, so I just thought he forgot about me. 

He sat me down at the kitchen table as he left to look for his phone. He can hear his conversation with my parents and they do not sound that happy, that was my fault. But I wasn't hurt in any way, so I don't think it's that bad. My anxiety slowly rises as I start to hear my dad's voice grow louder through the phone. Draxum gave me the 'you're dead' look and he was right. I'm dead. There is no way I'm gonna survive dad's lectures. My brain is gonna rot itself to hell. My facial expressions tell Mr. Draxum exactly what he needs to know about my emotions, I'm really readable according to his book. But nonetheless, I still wanted to explore a bit more. Seeing Professor Draxum reminded me of Big Mama, my aunt from my mother's side. I've only talked to her once, and at the time she wanted me to be the heir to her hotel since she doesn't exactly have a young blood relative till I came by. She was insistent on teaching my bargaining and economic skills even before I was even a teen. Kinda memorized some by heart, like to never set a deal fully. So that you can manipulate it to your desire if it doesn't end well, which is kinda mean but it works. I've actually tested it a lot at middle school for some reason, I was the Queen of the Cubbies, ruler of everything and everyone. Which was such a weird thing for me to even consider having at my age now. But I kinda do miss her, how has she been doing? It's been awhile since her last text. And it was never really her texting, always one of her goons. But when she does give me her time, she has always been so generous. Like mom. 

"Young one." His voice was stern, I looked up to the professor. He had the phone in his hand, but the call wasn't over. He lowered his hand to present to me his phone, and I took it. I hesitated for a while, but managed to find the courage to answer it. I could hear heavy breathing from the other side and I knew dad was furious. "Hello?" I was expecting to be shouted at, getting scolded for what I did and all that stuff. But he didn't say anything for a moment.