Invading My Mind

Jennifer's P.O.V

I still don't know how I managed to focus on shooting with all those thoughts invading my mind. And of course we kept emailing each other back and forth. He could've owned my heart with a pen.

*Video call*

["Hey mom." Emme answered but I could only see the ceiling.

"Hey baby. Let me see your face!" I said in a funny tone.

"I'm here." She said finally placing the phone where I could see her.

"Happy birthday!!" I raised my voice.

"Thank you." She answered with a coy smile.

"Where's your brother??" I asked holding my phone as I switched from one chair to another with a better illumination.

"He's right here." She said rotating her phone.

"Hi mom." He said getting closer.

"Happy birthday baby!" I said shaking the phone. "Let me see you two together!"

"I wish you were here." Emme said glancing at Max.

"I know sweetheart. I promise you guys will have the best party ever when I come back. But now you have to promise you'll have a great day. You have to laugh, dance and go crazy! But not too much. And I want lots of pictures! Okay?" I had to hold back the tears. I always tried to make sure I was there on their birthday but that year it was impossible.

"Okay..." Max said.

"I can't believe you are 13!" Stop growing!!" I pouted. "My babies. I love so much and I miss you!"

"We love you too." Emme said.

"I'll call you later. Muah. Bye!" I said before hanging up.]

Jennifer's P.O.V

Alex wasn't there when I woke up and I liked the way It felt. Was I a horrible person for that? I didn't miss him but I was missing something that morning. Maybe an email.

"How are the kids?" Chris asked as he used a blender to retouch my foundation.

"Apart from growing up uncontrollably? They're great... and far... and they looked so cute." I said checking my phone once again.

"Let's hope they don't throw a big party now that they are officially teenagers and their mom isn't around to control them." He joked.

"I'd kill them." I laughed. "Do you have any idea of Alex's whereabouts?"

"I'm afraid I don't. Someone must have seen him. But if he is preparing a surprise I wouldn't like to ruin it." He said stopping.

"Right..." I said looking down.

"He must be doing something very right because you look happier than ever. I know it's none of my business but is it about the wedding? Do you have a date already?" He asked now fixing my hair.

"No... it's not that." I answered not sure what to say.

"Whatever it is... if I were you I would stick to it." He said as he finished the retouches for the next take.

Those words made me think. Could it be that easy? Pretend like no time had passed, like our lives hadn't changed. Would it be too much for our children? And... breaking up with Alex after being engaged for so long. Of course it wasn't easy.

"Are we ready?" Jason, the director, asked the crew and cast.

That's what I needed, to keep shooting so I wouldn't have to think. Keep my mind busy.

After a long day and a relaxing bath all I wished for would've been sleeping next to the right person. It was far from reality.

"You're alive." I mumbled when I came out of the bathroom and realized Alex was back.

"And you look hot in that bathrobe." He said taking off his shirt.

"Where the hell were you?" I asked walking to the bed where he was sitting. "You know what? I don't care."

"Sorry I didn't leave a message. I went hiking with the guys and I lost track of time." He said as I sat on my side of the bed, then he started kissing my neck from behind. I didn't believe a word of what he said.

"Stop. I'm tired..." I said before lying on my side so I wouldn't see him.

I could hear him sigh and then I felt him getting off the bed and going around it to get to the bathroom. When I heard the door closing I opened my eyes and sat up to grab my iPad from the nightstand.

There it was. I couldn't hide the curve on my face, smiling like a fool, like a teenager.

"Dear Jen,

Sorry I couldn't reply before, things got a little hectic around here. The good news is that I'm finally going home and I'll be waiting for each and every one of your emails to make my days better.

That ocean view must be amazing but there's something I'm completely certain about, the ocean had a better view of you. Oh I'm jealous of that wind being able to slip under your bathrobe... you drove me crazy with that description.

I'll be thinking of you when I close my eyes tonight. I thought you might like to know.

Patiently yours,

Ben"